Saturday, February 28, 2015

4: The Day I Discover Heaven

My final 5:30am class, and I'm awake once again before 4am.  One would think an injuried body would take the additional thirty minutes alotted to sleep, but no.  Awake I am, and up I must get.

Immediately, there is the problem of what to wear.  My only pair of black sweatpants I wore Monday.  Tuesday I wore grey capri's, yesterday black.  I know I have a stash of hiking capri's, but they don't seem appropriate for yoga.  Digging through my closet, I stumble on black yoga pants!  I hesitate before trying them on - and they fit!  This is truly the week of wonders.

I've never tried yoga; I was brought up conservative pentecostal and am still leery of anything involving "ooommms."  I knew today was sport yoga (i.e. yoga without the ooommms) and I had a feeling I would love it.  While I still don't claim to have engaged myself in exercise, I was definitely excited to try something new.  Kinda like Taylor Swift, trying on a new boyfriend.



When I arrived, the gym lights were off.  A tad creepy at 5:30am, but at least I knew these people now.  It was nice being greeted warmly when I arrived, and it was pleasant to sit and chat for a few minutes with these new found friends.  Sgt. Steve started our session, and immediately I was hooked.

I freaking LOVE yoga.

I love the stretches, pushing me a little bit further.  I love the poses - so effortless for some but so ridiculous for me to attempt - I had visions of being able to strike a pose.  The calm, the dimness, the rhythmic movements were like a dream.  It wasn't 5:30am, I was simply still asleep.

My rude awakening happened after a set with my head down.  I cam up too quickly, and nausea overtook me for the second day in a row.  I hadn't had breakfast, but I did have a Starbucks coffee on my way in.  This sealed the deal for me - no food before early morning exercise henceforth.

When I left the building, the sun was up and this view amazed me:

Granite Mtn. blanketed in clouds.
From the gym I ran over to BNI, Business Networking International.  I'm a little networking princess, and I was joining the Thursday Morning Money Makers.  Bryce, my former BNI cohort, will tell you I'm all about getting a black tag, and adore connecting friends with money.  Bryce is a artist who specializes in photography, and together we trashed my dress in an aircraft fuselage, which was tremendous fun.

We must make more money!!  Ivan Misner has commanded it!
BTW, I still fit in both of my wedding dresses.  My size 4 waist has stayed the same.  Big skirts are so forgiving.  Have I mentioned I'm a princess?  I have a gorgeous selection of tiara's.

Really.

A princess who was swept off her feet by a big bad former cop :)
Princesses should not have to exercise.  Networking, sure.  Exercise, no.

From BNI (where I met my daughter's boyfriend's dad by pure coincidence) I ran to meet my editor, and then left for another sales call.  By noon I was bushed, and ready for a nap.  Never before in my life have I felt such fatigued, and I called Becky to beg off.

She wouldn't let me.

"Take a power nap at the trailhead while you wait for me," she commanded, so I figured I had no way out.  I pulled into the Williamson Valley trailhead, a mere 6 miles from my so soft bed, and waited for her with my eyes closed.  I had just drifted off when she arrived, her beloved dog Diesel by her side.  After Tuesday's conversation, the first thing we did was guarantee we were both carrying.  My holster had not arrived, and in yoga pants I was left with few choices.  Appendix carry with no breakaway holster, or putting my gun in my backpack.  We debated the merits and decided Becky with her 9mm could cover me while I drew, should the need arise.

Never, ever, Google "girlfriend with a gun."  Just no.

Becky & Diesel.  Yes, she is carrying.
We get started on the 3 mile hike, one of my most familiar as we live so close.  This one I know by heart, and at the 1.3 mile marker to turn onto #347, Becky was bushed.  We both had a good chuckle, since I was the one not wanting to come, and now she was the one questioning heading back.  I assured here we were nearly half way, and the best was yet to be.  Onward to the Mint Creek trail we went.

Really, I do live on the top of the mountains in the center of the heart.  I can see Russia from my house.

Friends don't let friends ditch a hike.

We completed the hike in about an hour, both glad we hadn't let the other one quit.  We talked more about doing a rim to rim in the fall, and promised to see each other for another hike in the morning.  I left for home, rundown and a sweaty mess.  Imagine my delight in finding Heaven on Earth:  my Shower.

Never, in the history of showers, has one felt so good.  Every muscle had ached before climbing in.  My skin drank in the moisture, and the heat soothed away the hurts.  I began to understand for the first time why the King of Athletics of the Central Highlands took three showers a day (I know - a little OCD but I love him).  The rewards heaped upon me in that one shower made all the exercise of the prior four days worth it - I have never, in my entire life, felt so good.  After cleaning up, and re-bandaging my wound, I snuggled between the sheets and took a nap.  The rewards outweighed the pain for the very first time.




No comments:

Post a Comment