Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Why I’m a Christian

Yesterday, we lost the offer on the house; I found that out after a very long day that began in the wee hours.  The Buckeye’s beloved companion of 9 years, Mack, had passed away.


Mack-Mack.

When I got the call, I was more disappointed to learn that “earnest money” essentially means nothing in Arizona, than to hear of the cancellation.  I had noted weeks ago that our buyer had an offer on their home that dated back to September and still hadn’t closed...hence, I knew in my heart this could be a possibility.  Coming the day after a business blow, the same day my man’s dog died and after a day of doing bills and taxes and money things in general not looking too good?


James 1:2-5

This is why I believe.

The moment I heard the news, my heart raced to scripture.  Having purposed to choose faith just the day before; it was fresh in my mind. 

James 1:4 by itself has always, always been my favorite Bible verse.

I could feel a wee excitement bubble in my soul....and I was flooded by a peace that passed all understanding.  The calm I felt was not of my doing; no positive-thinking guru could have generated the calm I had, and have even now.


It’s more like a firewall :)

This is why I believe.

Through every storm of life; I find peace and strength to carry on through Christ.

My theology I find I unique; I’m pretty simple in it.


That’s it.  Right there, spoken by Christ.

Bad things are not from God.  To say they are contradicts the words of Christ Himself.  Good things are from God (as is noted numerous times in the New Testament.) We have free will to chose God’s way.  Doesn’t mean bad things don’t happen, as we live in a fallen world (and people have the aforementioned free will, to do good or evil.)

When I chose God’s way?  I have peace.  

Not sit back, do nothing and blessings will fall from the sky peace. No, this is a deep knowing that if I continue to work towards the plans I know are right, I will be ok.  No matter what happens.


Sweet Mack.

Mack was at least 11, but could have been 13.  He was a big boy, 80+ pounds, and his health had been declining all summer as his age caught up with him.  By the time the Buckeye and I had become a couple, Mack was slow and needed help getting up on smooth surfaces.  He had a tumor near his tail; he often could not get outside in time to poo.  The vet had assured the Buckeye Mack wasn’t in any pain; so nightly walks simply became shorter and the Buckeye bought more Swiffer wet pads for clean ups.  By fall, Mack had accepted me; whether it was my continued care for him or the fact he saw I loved his person, I know not.  All I know is he was an old dog, and he didn’t have to accept me; I would have been ok with that.  To have Mack chose to love me?  It gave me one of the points of joy that have continually kept me going in life.

The Buckeye had found Mack in a field on Thanksgiving Day, nine years before.  It was raining, and he noticed him driving to the grocery store.  When he was still sitting in the field a few hours later, the rain still pouring down, he decided to see if he could get him to shelter.  Mack came to him, and after an extensive search for his prior owners came up empty, became his dog.  


There are no fewer than nine photos of Mack in the Buckeye’s living room❤️

This faithful and loyal companion passed fairly peacefully after a brief struggle to breathe, with his person at his side.  He didn’t die alone; the Buckeye doesn’t have to wonder what happened.  As Mack crossed the Rainbow Bridge, it was his person who comforted him in those last moments; just as Mack had given comfort and love so freely for the prior nine years.

If God cares enough to give the Buckeye and his dog the best possible ending, how could I not believe He cares for me and my financial situation?

I’m a Christian because I see proof in the Bible that sin destroys and life can be lived in abundance.  That I can have peace in any situation through Christ’s strength in me.  That loving your neighbor as yourself applies to every person, even those you disagree with.  That loving the Lord your God has brought me nothing but joy; He has turned my sorrow in dancing, giving me the oil of joy for mourning, and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.  That when life gets complicated (quite often because of decisions and actions I chose to take, including sin which we all deal with daily) He refreshes my soul, gives me wisdom to correct what went wrong, forgiving me of those transgressions I admit to making and strength and peace to see the change.  The Bible I see as my instruction book:  here is how the world works.  Sin hurts you (body and mind), and love never fails. Good things come from God, bad things from the enemy.  I have a choice to do things God’s way, or do things on my own.

When I chose to walk by faith, I have peace. 


I believe the Buckeye would say it’s enjoying “right now.”


I see other philosophers agree with the sentiment.

Today, I don’t have an offer, but I have a beautiful home that many had interest in, but knowing there was an offer had passed by.  Today they are being contacted; I am hopeful for another offer quickly.  I have Lucy as a companion as I work on 2018 action plans for Ride; she looks for her fur brother but isn’t as mopey as yesterday. Instead of stress and anxiety I have peace, and a building excitement as I anticipate a better offer with a better closing date.  I am doing what I know to do, bolstered by my faith.

That’s why I’m a Christian.

It has never failed to bring me peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment