Sunday, November 19, 2017

Angle of Approach

168.4

That’s exactly 13 lbs, and the first time I’ve seen a “6” instead of a “7.”


Hope springs anew!  I’m sitting in the cockpit of a F-18, too!!!

Dang I need a touch up on my red...

When I last left you two weeks ago, weight loss had stalled.  The house remodel was done, and I was happy to have it completed.


My weight loss had all but stopped, but I was happy and in love.  I knew I needed to add exercise to my routine, and watch my diet for obvious carbs.  One of the best HABITS to come out of this diet is recording my food...and let’s be honest.  With today’s free apps there’s no reason not to.  It’s fast, easy and hey!  Rewarding.


This guy just hit 10lbs lost!!!  He had his app screen covered in confetti and was forced to hit the “You Rock!” Button, too.  We both loved it!

So I started hiking again; with the Buckeye on Monday after work.  Amazingly my lungs did great; of the four hikes I’ve taken, only one required an inhaler puff.  I am trying to be conscious of the foods I eat, but admittedly I can’t tell you what ones I should avoid.  I’m simply trying to chose more greens than ever, and ditching obvious starches here and there.


Did I mention it was dark by the end of our hikes?

Getting back on the trail has done more than simply help my weight; I feel better simply having moved.  During the remodel I moved constantly; it’s not hard to see the correlation that when I stopped moving my weight loss stalled.  As always, it comes back to calories.  We use a certain amount everyday, just to stay alive.  Use more than you consume, you burn fat.  Consume more than you need? It’s stored.  My food log is the hard evidence I frequently consume much more than I need.


BWW with the girls:)

But that’s changing as I get farther in, and my body adapts to my fasting days.  I’ve switched it up, and my results are changing.

Two weeks ago, I got tired of dreading Monday.  I was always at the Buckeye’s, and worked on my computer. Being alone, I had plenty of time to think about how hungry I was.  Like obsess over it.  Once I ate lunch, I was ravenous!  So I decided “starvation mode” needed to be tested.  I’m fully capable of going until dinner without eating...but have always been told I wouldn’t lose weight because my body would hoard it.  I suspected junk science, but it seemed true.  My food log suggested that what really happened is I ate 2-3000 calories late on those days.  So I decided to stop eating.

The first Monday was my first hike...and I had coffee for breakfast and a tea for lunch.  I was well hydrated when we set off...with nothing on my stomach.  


And I did fine.

That gave me the opportunity to indulge in a bowl of chili and a Coors Light when we got home, and it was wonderful.  I went to bed full, and felt great.  Repeating this the next three fast days, I found I had no hunger pains, no lightheadedness, and went to bed full.  I could exercise with no issue even late in the day, and felt great.

The surprising thing?  I found I easily got fuller at other meals!

At BWW I adore their cheese curds, and could easily eat a basket, and then eat eight wings.  Last Tuesday I could only eat 1/2 a basket—no Wings—as I was full.  The girls all were stunned, as my love for the curds are well known.  Right now I’m off visiting family, and I’m pointedly listening to my stomach.  Three days in a row I’ve brought home a doggie bag; when I’m full I stop.  I purposely planned my six hour drive for a fast day, so it would be easy to skip lunch.

Three weeks in to changing things up, I see my approach to my fast days is now exactly as it should be for me.  It’s positively effecting my weight, my appetite and my energy level...and that’s exciting!


Preparing to sew the Buckeye’s backpack, and stopping because I had the wrong thread.

Last Monday when I went to fix the backpack strap; I could have sewn it with regular thread.  It would have held for a few hikes, but I knew if I sewed it with a heavier thread the repair would likely last the life of the bag.  I knew going into the 5:2 diet if I ate breakfast I’d be starving by lunch, so I skipped it.  Starving after lunch surprised me, but it seemed that to fast longer would be wrong, so I stumbled on and began dreading Monday’s.  A little research suggested I’d be fine with a longer fast, and indeed, I was.  This is how I will continue, having found what works best for me.  Diets are a lot of trial and error, of gaining wisdom as to what works best for us.  As a lifelong seamstress, I knew not to bother with the lighter thread.  I’ve not been a lifelong dieter, but I did know something’s about my body and how it reacted.  Once I finally applied that, I’ve found better success!


Fort Simcoe kitchen

This week I’m traveling, and it’s Thanksgiving.  Yes, I’ll still do the 5:2.  Yes, I’ll eat whatever I want on Thursday, knowing it’ll be recorded!!!  My comfort is that I’m finding this diet is less a diet, and is slowly becoming a lifestyle.  The benefits of fasting are gaining more recognition, and I’m encouraged it’s a positive for my life long term.  I’m blessed to have a partner in this with the Buckeye; without whom I would not have stuck with it.


So crazy in love with this man.

My approach to the diet has changed; my success I hope will be a lifestyle change.  Once again I’m finding that if st first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

This time I think I found what really works.

No comments:

Post a Comment