Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Unexpected Rewards

We’ve been on our honeymoon for 10 days, with 8 more days to go.  Technically.


Although it started like this, sooo...

It’s funny what our expectations have been.  We thought we’d have a celebratory drink at Sky Harbor.

We did not.

Instead I yelled “Go Blue” when the gate agent said, “Hey, watch this” and yelled out two random letters to which everyone (but me, in the Michigan shirt) yelled back two more letters in a group attempt to spell a four letter word. (For those unfamiliar, Buckeyes can’t spell the name of their state without help. One says O-H and the other says I-O.)

Heh.  The state to which we travelled is a four letter word. 🤪

Anywise, the Buckeye was stressed. He’d planned an 80th surprise party for his mom the day after we got to Ohio, and he realized he was the weak link. If anyone was going to accidentally tell her, it would be him.


He needn’t have worried. It went perfectly, 45+ people showed up, including cousins who flew in. It was a wonderful way to meet the majority of the Buckeye’s family and friends!

So, I thought maybe after the party he would relax, but the next day we drive north to see my people.


My cousin and I both wore sparkly blue Kate Spades because we are the same people:)


My people. Ohhhhh how I’ve missed them! (Pam, how did we not get a photo together?!?)

We actually had a purpose in going to Michigan. While my brother, who is an ordained minister suggested it was because I’m a diva who needed a second wedding ceremony, it was really a chance to remember our vows. It’s been a super tough year.

Vows renewed, we headed to Cleveland.  That’s about 5-6hrs of driving that day alone.


With Swagger, the official Browns dog.

The next day, our actual anniversary, we met up with the Knight’s sister and her fiancé, and the Knight’s college roommate and his wife for breakfast.  Yes, my late husband’s people...and it was wonderful. On to the game with the Buckeye’s brother, sister-in-law and two of his friends, including the one who had packed his reserve when he had a cut away so long ago and had saved his life (just like me!)

Then the Browns lost, and we walked 6 miles and couldn’t seem to get a pizza delivered to our room with any speed.  The Buckeye was worn out, and I worried.

The next day, we drove back to Michigan...via State Route 2...and memories came flooding back of childhood trips to the area we both had taken. After lunch with my lifelong BFF we headed to my old home airport.  Where it took forever.


Boarding flight two at airport three...

And off we went to Finland.

We arrived at 2:30 the next day, and immediately began to explore.

Quite simply, he could not stop pinching himself.  

We wandered for hours, soaking in Helsinki.  Dinner of reindeer was a must do, and we walked back to the apartment exhausted. We had walked almost 6 miles.  The next morning, knowing rain was forecasted, we got up early and went to Suomenlinna, the island fortress.


It was then we knew.

We did almost 8 miles that day, between our island time, walking the city and trekking to a tattoo shop for the Buckeye to get a special piece of ink commemorating his Finnish heritage. The next day we flew north to Toholampi, where both of his great grandparents (his paternal grandmother’s parents) had been born and raised.


We spent almost two hours looking at graves in the church cemetery. 

That day we walked 6 miles again.

Back to Helsinki, and we had the joy of a photography tour of the city.


We could not stop laughing.


And the photos captured something we both had worried was lost.

We did another 8 miles that day, and climbed 18 flights of stairs (we had averaged 14 flights a day, which is not hard when your apartment is on the fourth floor and the elevator doesn’t work.)

I have never been more thankful for the exercise I had done prior before.  August had been simple discipline to go to the gym, to just show up.

Little did I know I was insuring a wonderful trip.

All the weeks of podcasts and “Building the Browns” episodes while on the arc trainer, which was so slow and tedious as my lungs built in strength, had prepared me for a wonderful honeymoon adventure in Finland.

I could walk miles without an asthma attack.  I could climb stairs without stopping. I had stamina to go, go, go.

Because while I watched “Building the Browns” I was actually building up me.  All the complaints, all the whining, all the choices to go against and give something (not often my best, but wait until my next blog) was the actual training my body needed to do exactly what it’s just done: walk an average of 6 miles a day without complaint.

Well, my feet do complain a little. I am 48, after all.


Finnish pastries. Despite the goodies, all of my pants are loose.

Our Finnish part of our honeymoon has come to a close; we are off to Scotland.  As we depart, I am delighted to have the reward of a health body that easily enjoyed Helsinki and all it had to offer.

Made possible by regular exercise, the entire month before.


Remember how dubious I was? 


Every bit of me is thankful now.

No, August wasn’t my best.  But I did it, consistently, and didn’t quit.  My reward has been a honeymoon I was able to fully enjoy...and it’s not over yet!  Furthermore, in all of this we have found something more: we really are a match.

We had both worried before we had left; about stamina, about us. It’s been so very hard, much harder than we’d let on.


Oh, it’s still very much there!

We rediscovered all the little things we loved about each other on these walls: long walks with long talks. No phones (expect for occasional navigation) and the ability to reconnect as we do desperately needed.  Yes, we really are meant to be.  Just as I strengthened my body beforehand, so now we are strengthening our hearts.

It really, truly, is going to be ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment