Monday, November 7, 2016

For Everything Else There's MasterCard

Nearly two months ago, Manchild was struggling with football conditioning.

 

It had been about 6 weeks, and much like his mother, he had found that exercise did not make him feel better.

He felt worse.

I assured him he was close to his breakthrough-when it did get easier....but it was tough.  As a former fencer, he did not have a team mentality, and did not grasp the consequences of quitting a very popular football team.

But Mom did.

My Manchild was hurting, and the empathy I had was sincere.  I know how horrible it is to be out of shape, and try to get back into it.  So, like many a mother before me, I offered a reward for sticking it out:

I bought tickets to Michigan.

Not just plane tickets, oh no.  

Michigan Football tickets.

They'd just won the first game of the season, and the team was ranked in the top ten.  I picked the first weekend in November, one week after Chino would finish their season.  

I sincerely hoped I would not freeze.

The purchase was the boost he needed-a goal to be reached.  Shortly thereafter, he hit "cruising altitude," and began to see his efforts rewarded on the field.  I had bought tickets for my daughters as well, figuring it might be one of the last times I could get all three together to travel before the younger two entered college and the older one finished college.

Then I started a business.


Two businesses.

 

Financially, I almost immediately regretted my impulsive purchase.  

At least I had paid cash....

One thing after another happened business wise; then the fuel pump went out and the refrigerator the next week.  My trusty Durango needed a new front end, and unexpected medical situations arouse.

I began to regret my choice...as Michigan kept winning.

And my manchild got even better at football.
 

My parents left unexpectedly for what I thought was two weeks-as I write they are still not back, six weeks later.  My schedule was changed to accommodate my two youngest, and I was encouraged to slow down during some of the busiest days of my life.  I gained weight for the very first time in my life due to stress, and earlier this week I hit my head on a tree.

And again I regretted the impulsive choice.

Then on Thursday, Kyle & I took the younger two out of school for the day and started their mini-vacation early, with a laughter-filled morning in Jerome.  Kyle & The Princess regaled us with fanciful tales as we traveled to the airport; Manchild & I had tears rolling down our cheeks we laughed so hard.

#LYBP❤️

My oldest daughter, who is so rarely mentioned in this blog I just realized has not been given a nickname, joined us at the airport.

We had a rain delay.  Seriously.

I could not recall the last time we had a photo of the three of them together.

It was wonderful.

The King's brother picked us up from the airport, and at 2:30am delivered us to his mother's home.  There my 86 year old mother-in-law greeted us with a feast of food, and made her now towering grandson a milkshake.

At 2:30am.

I could have wept.  

For this alone the purchase had been worth it.  My children will never forget the love of a wonderful Grammy, stuffing them full at 2:30am, the second they walked in the door.

We each went our separate ways on Friday, reconnecting with old friends and family.

My alma mater, wise & glorious, shrine of light and home of truth.

Saturday dawned beautifully, Michigan trying to woo me with a stunning fall day.

Luckily I recall clearly her wicked side, called winter.

The golf course was lush, the tailgate amazing as more family joined us.

The Knight's mother and the King's mother.  I love them both dearly.

The game?  A blow-out. 59-3.

The memories?

Priceless.

This is why I work hard-to travel and explore, making memories that will never be lost.

This is why I want to franchise-so that others can share in this success, and use the resources success brings to enjoy life.

Ugh.  This is why I need to exercise...to be healthy and not be like my grandmother, in a wheelchair for 22 years after a stroke.

I'm writing this on the plane, minutes from landing in my beloved Arizona.  I adore this state; from age 15 on I determined to make it my home.  I have no intentions of ever moving back to Michigan.

But sometimes it's good to go home.  It's even better to have a healthy son.

Go Blue, Manchild.  Make your dream of being a lineman for Michigan come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment