Friday, November 25, 2016

Picking up my Feet

I was determined not to fall.

 My playground.

Learning to trail run is not easy.  It not running, it's not a fast walk/hike, it's just...different.  It requires a remarkable amount of thought, and I'm still figuring a lot out.

 Sunday's gouge on my thigh turned into a wicked bruise.  The knee also bruised and swelled overnight, I limped most of Monday.

Like any other new thing, I researched it online.  Well, maybe after I fell twice.  I texted the Scientist to get his opinion-he told me I needed to make sure I picked up my feet.

Pick up my feet.  Like a marching band?

Hmmmm.

Heading out, I ran 100yds before I felt my throat constricting.  I dropped to a walk, and sucked down some water.  The Air Monster I now knew to be exercise induced asthma, and I was determined to defeat it.  I'd walk, then run, taking care to always run up the hills and walk the flats--I was learning to run solely on the pad of the foot (ideal for a minimus show wearer, and also amazing at preventing ankle rolls and knee injuries.)  I stopped to answer a text, and saw this:

 

And twenty yards later, this:

Soon I was seeing hearts everywhere, so I had to stop and text this:

As it was such a glorious day, and I wanted to share.

 Note how easy this looks.  Soooo deceiving.

So this trail...it's a great trail to learn on.  #1, I'm super familiar with it, having hiked it for five years.  #2, it's got cool bits but it's also got flats.

This is "flat."

 This is not.

 This is very much a normal part of trail. 

  And sometimes you see things resembling squirrel brains...

I noted that 20 minutes in I hit "cruising altitude" and my breathing became less of an issue.  However, my ability to do any of it?

My music.

Specifically, my Jesus music.

Several years ago, I heard a sermon that we all connect differently to God.  Some through prayer, worship, bible study, service/ministry, nature.  Instantly I understood why my mother and a few others always pushed daily scripture and prayer time on me--it was how they connected to God.  Me?  Nature and worship.  Always.  I was the girl who bought worship music to simply listen to in daily life, specifically Hosanna and Hillsong.  The last few years that's changed, as the newer worship songs we sing aren't as...meaningful?  Or perhaps my sporadic church attendance has something to do with it?

Yeah, well.  That's a quest of a different kind.

So my first run not quite two weeks ago was only because I had skipped church, and was missing time with God.  Hitting the trail that day, intended to talk it out (i.e. pray), not run it out.  Hallelujah got to me (as it always does) as I know full well the meaning of the word:  God is great.  As I repeated the refrain my spirit swelled...if my God was great, and He promised I could do all things....

That's when I made the connection that worship music was a pleasure receptor.  I am most inspired during worship.  So I combined it with exercise...and had incredible, immediate results.

My desire to hit the trail is two fold:
  1. Worship 
  2. Trail running 
I've missed worship desperately.  I connect best to God in nature.  Now add in a necessary component for health.

The result:  a trifecta.  Spirit, soul & body are fed.

Oh to keep this up.

My legs are changing rapidly...I never lost the muscle I developed in Pilates this summer.  Now they are toning up in lightening speed.  I can feel the changes...and I'm vain.  I love it.  My weight is still way too high (I'm near pregnancy final weight so this is freaking me out) and only one pair of jeans fit-ugh.  But.  It's early.  I'm not quite two weeks in.  I still can't breath, for crying out loud. I only run 1/3-1/2 of the hike.  That will change...

Of course, it's nearly winter.

I can do this.

I must.




No comments:

Post a Comment