Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Right Partner

Life seems to be moving very quickly...and I'm not complaining.

Last moments in Florida:)

Things keep changing, and new paths keep presenting themselves.  Once again I find myself plunging in....but this time it's very different.

Caspersen Beach 

Florida was not relaxing (too much work to be accomplished) but it was definitely fun.  My shark tooth hunting venture resulted in few shark's teeth but the promise of a return soon to the area...for reasons I can't quite disclose.

Of course I have a ridiculous smile.  I love the beach!

So I never exercised in Florida, unless you count fighting the surf as exercise.  When I got home, I had to immediately go for a run.

Because I was mad.

Quite mad.

I believe I threw some rocks....

 Those storm clouds had nothing on me....I was much stormier.

I had returned home, full of hope.  Within seconds of landing, most of it vanished.  The realities of home hit quick, and while I had great meetings on Monday, I was very upset.

Again.

 See?!

I did two miles.  Running.

And then I felt better.

Ugggggghhhh.

Why?!?  Why did it work this time?!?

 
We're both confused...

Things got even better after my run...later that day I had two great meetings, and the joy in my heart built as the weekend approached.  More great meetings, and then I decided to hike Tom's Thumb.

As you can see, it didn't go so well.

Three.

Three asthma attacks.

Ugh.

Granted, it's steep.

 
 This was the mild part; 2.2 miles to the top, elevation gain of 1300ft.  

Eek.

It was cold, 41°.  I think the cold is what my poor lungs struggled with...that and this was a tough climb.  My hiking partner stayed well ahead of me, rarely waiting as I coughed and tried to catch my breath.  By the end of the hike, they had given up with my lagging behind.

It was my first hike with a partner since October...and I didn't like it at all.

First, in trying to keep up I didn't listen to my body's signals that the pace was too fast for the cooler conditions (exercise-induced asthma is trigger most often by cool air.). Second, it wasn't relaxing.  I missed my music; I think music allows me to keep a better pace.  Third, it was maddening.  I had to deal with someone else's agenda.

 But I did have someone to take my picture at the top...:)

Hiking down, I slipped on lose gravel and pulled a flexor muscle.  Partner did not notice or care.  It reminded me of the many irritants a bad hiking partner can bring...and it made me reflect.

I don't think I necessarily need a partner.

 I certainly enjoy having the right one:)

Last week, the Knight's mom and I partnered up and had a blast.  What I had originally planned to be a solo venture became a grand adventure with the woman I still call mom.
  
Exercise with a partner whose agenda was different than mine?

 Let's just say I tried to remain pleasant.

The pulled flexor ended up causing me a great deal of pain that night; luckily it seems to be healing quickly.  It did mean no run on Sunday, and more meetings.

 With the right partners.

Since posting this picture on Facebook, several have commented on how pretty and happy I looked.

We were strategizing, and I knew the right people were with me.  The joy that has been bubbling in my heart is clearly seen on my face.

I don't need a partner.  I definitely don't want the wrong partner.  Sometimes you think someone is right, just by their qualifications and enthusiasm, only to find out later there's not much there.

 But when there is?! 😍

Partnership.

The right ones are worth waiting for.

Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment