Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Hiking Like a Granny

Oh, it's hard to hike like a Granny.

 It's not hard to sit down and look goofy.  That's kinda easy.

Meandering.  My new fitness theory, that may prove pivotal as I've had early successes with it.

Until the last two days, that is.

 My first, and very successful meander, 12 days ago.

On the first meander, I hit Piestewa early.  6:41am according to Strava, that evil addicting app with only the 20% in mind.  My theory was I could go slow..."slow like a granny"...and manage my asthma.  Indeed, I achieved the summit without using the inhaler, and found the hike to be rather addicting.  It was my third time to the summit, and I knew I had found my Phoenix Thumb Butte.  Already I was recognizing sections of trail, and with three friends who do it on a regular basis, I knew it was a great outlet for a strenuous hike.

That and it's rocks. Allllllll rocks.
 Ha!  This looks like a trail.  So deceiving.

 This is far more accurate.  Like 85% is like this.

So, I meandered, people passed me like crazy, and I made it to the top with no asthmatic episodes.  I felt great, and got down in 33minutes-a nice time.

Then I did the Butte.

 Delighted!!!

It's paved, and only .8 miles vs Piestewa's double black diamond 1.2 miles.  It took 30 minutes and I never ran out of breath, didn't need to suck water and I achieved a fitness goal set two years ago-to hike it without stopping.  I even ran down the other side-my first mile EVER in MY LIFE without stopping.  And at altitude, too!!

I was so happy-and thought surely I had cracked a code.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

 My new venture, Cholla Trail up Camelback.

So I decide to do the "easy" side of Camelback.  You know, so Piestewa doesn't realize I'm in love with it.  Gotta keep competing mountains off-balance that way.

Yeah.

 See?  Easy.

 A wee intimidating.

 Sooooo me.  What I love.

I meandered.  I didn't lose my breath.  I enjoyed the view.

 And I called it only 1/3rd to the top.

It was 2pm, and I hadn't eaten anything.  The nausea turned to weakness, which in turn became dizziness.

Dang it.

I hated calling it due to stupidity.  I was so enjoying my meandering, and had no breathlessness or tiredness.  But fainting due to not eating was NOT going to happen.

Reluctantly, I headed down...and struggled.  A hard lesson was learned, and I did question if the heat added to it.  It was 94°, and even though I didn't feel hot and was well hydrated, normally not eating would not effect me so badly.

Yeah.  #learning

I woke up with night shakes, and given the fact it was a day I'd rather forget but couldn't, I wasn't surprised my body was desperate to get rid of stress.  The day was busy-I had a lot of work to accomplish if I was to leave on my epic adventure-and so I headed for Piestewa late.  I got there at 5:25pm, and recall thinking I should look up when last light was.  I figured an hour up, a half hour down and 15 minutes enjoying the summit.  Gave myself 2 hours.

 Which was clearly NOT enough time.

The hike was hard.  Like pull out the inhaler twice hard.  I moved slow like a granny and a hundred people zipped by me...yet still I struggled.  The temp was 95°, and although I had eaten I wasn't feeling to swift.  Though daunted, I continued the climb...even talking some tourists into continuing to the top.

 Because this.

This is the spot dreams are made of, up on the summit of Piestewa Peak.  I sat there and ruminated on the day,  a few tears escaping.  Today had been like so many other anniversaries- I bought myself a piece of jewelry he cared nothing about, and I went on an adventure he missed out on (often when we hiked, we separated.  On our tenth anniversary we each did solo Canyon hikes.)

Today though, I remembered the good and examined the past, promising not to repeat the bad.  I told myself I'd marry again someday at that spot.

Whether I do or not is irrelevant.  It made me feel better to make the goal.

 Sunset at the summit.

The trip down was difficult-in the twilight I was unsure if my footing.  It's hard to hike like a granny-sooo many people pass you it's discouraging.  I only had 16% phone battery, and wanted to save my light.  I finished at 7:42pm, 20 minutes later than anticipated and needing the flashlight the last five minutes.

 I'm not smiling much lately, am I?

The hike, while utterly exhausting, was worth it.  The views were amazing, and I continued my new love affair with the Peak.

 
The middle of Phoenix.  Love this town.

Looking in the mirror-I am fat.  There is 20-25lbs extra that I am carrying every time I hike.  I broke my rules and bought more jeans today, knowing I need them for the trip.  Cardio seems impossible with my lungs, but my legs?

My legs are getting very strong.

Walking up the parking lot, I could feel the coiled power.  They weren't tired or fatigued.  That's good because the epic adventure will require their full cooperation!!

 
#learning

I will do this.  I will figure it out.  I will get fit-and I will do it in a way that works best for me.  Tonight I realized that while I may not be in the 20% who exercise, I'm at the top of the 80% who don't...because I persistently do.

Again and again.

I will get this.  And hopefully one day?  I'll hike up that mountain in a white dress.  Because why ever not?  It certainly propelled me to the top today, didn't it?

Exactly as dreams should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment