Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Pride and Joy

There is a joy that bubbles up within you until it overflows.

 I had that:)

Just a few days ago I sat right there and called the hike. I was nauseous and weak-I thought it was solely not eating.  Now, I can pretty safely say it was the heat in combination with my forgetfulness.

My prior two hikes I did at 95°...and one I bailed on, the other took much longer to complete.  Neither time I felt hot, and both times I had plenty of water,  but both were overwhelming hard.  

The King told me it's because my body can do two out of three or four things well.  In both cases, I was asking a bit too much. 

Or so he says.

Apparently, the first time I asked it to a) exert without food b) deal with heat c) exert in general.  So nausea resulted, and I had to call it.  Now having completed Cholla, it was 100% the right call.  My Piestewa hike the next night?

 Grimly heading down knowing I was going to run out of light.

Well, it was 95° when I started, but I was in the shade most of the time, had eaten and was well hydrated.  Apparently, this time asking my body to a) digest food while exerting b) deal with the heat and c) exert slowed down everything- and I ended up having two significant asthma attacks.

 It was still a worthwhile hike:)

As I'm learning that heat, while not really seeming to be a factor (I don't feel like it's hot at 95°), it obviously is, so after a day's rest I decided to reattempt Cholla.  I started at 7:30am, at a chilly 66°.

 This guy started the hike with me.

Immediately I noticed a difference-this hike was not hard.  I had plenty of energy (despite not eating breakfast-hahahahahaha) and while I had to go granny slow, breathing was not an issue.  I had plenty of water, but didn't feel the need to suck it down. As it grew warmer (rather quickly, I might add) I had no issues-just pure joy.

Rarely have I been so happy.  The night before I had an unexpected message...a blast from the past, if you will.  For the first time, I had resolution in a relationship...and had shut a door and walked away.  Closure, they call it.  More like empowerment!  Not only was my heart happy, but I was quickly falling in love with Cholla.

 
 
I had to go straight up the huge rock formation๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜Ž

The last 1/4 mile of pure scramble to the top thrilled me-and as I looked up to the summit I could clearly see the area that BASE jumpers used.  The Buckeye used to BASE jump Camelback, and had told me several tales that I cringed at...but looking at it from the saddle?

Inspiring.

I wanted to jump off Camelback, too.

Probably not the best idea, eh? This is likely the last appearance of the Colonel's Hat on my head...it's too hot to hike in black!  That and baseball hats really don't suit me.

Nor do colonels, for that matter.

Anywise!!  The top of Camelback--and I'm happy.  Overjoyed.  Ready to conquer the world...

 Summit!

My trip down I chatted on my Bluetooth with My Tudor, a long time friend dating back to high school and college.  It was fun sharing the adventure; he's back in Michigan and has a debilitating back injury that makes hikes like this but a dream.  Funny how the hike flew by despite a difficult descent in places...

 Me.  Supremely happy.

Piestewa is my pride.  Cholla is my joy.

I love hiking.  It's the only thing keeping me sane right now, as I wait for the house to sell.  This time it has to-there's no other out unless the King suddenly comes up with enough to buy me out.  The waiting game is horrifying...I've done long waits for real estate to sell before...and the stress of it not selling and my immediate lodging needs has weighed heavily on me the last few days.  Originally, I planned to travel; job interviews now precluded that.  As I wait for a new life to begin in the valley, I am challenged to do what I can, while being patient with what I cannot do.

It's tempting to put in a picture right here of people I am being remarkably patient with because I believe them when they say it is worth it.....!!!๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜Ž

 Instead, I give you this.  Piestewa Peak.

Early on Monday, I fought traffic to hit the peak before 7am.  I decided to use my poles; my arms are flabby and I wondered if it would help my lungs.

Oh sugar.

I had my best time up-56 minutes-a full 15 minutes faster than my best time.  One asthma attack right near the top (and totally my fault as I raced a bit wanting to have my best time.  See?  Even I fall prey to that nonsense.)  Pride.  I had no improper pride, sitting on that peak.  Rather, the satisfaction that despite much I had no control over, I had this.

 Wretched sports bra, happy hiker.

Driving down to Phoenix the night before, I was a mess.  The stresses are building, despite my reminders that financially I'm really stable.  While Ride pays the bills, it won't qualify me for a mortgage (there's a pesky rule about showing an income for two years off a business before it counts.). So I need a W-2 position, and the search is wearying.  Add in the house, the children, Ride, business partners and especially being homeless...yeah.  That last bit is a bitter pill.  I own a home I pay for monthly, but I need to be here.  I don't want to rent long term, due to the house being for sale...but it's hard.  Very hard.  I want to put down roots in my new city, develop new friendships and new routines.  Without having a home base, it's nearly impossible.

Except for here:

 
View of Piestewa from Camelback Summit.

And here:

 View northeast of Piestewa.

On my pride & joy I get to release stress, connect with God and feel better about life.  This is a short period of time.  The house will sell.  I will have my own place here.  I'll have my books back.  I will be able to establish roots.

While rootless, it's challenging.  We need routine, and without a home base, I've been floundering.  The endless wait for a sale over 18 months has come to a head....you see, I may be divorced, but until that house sells I'm still joined to the King.  I've been very patient, and very kind.  It's really, really hard right now to keep being those things, when you feel tossed and thrown by circumstances....and then I hike, and it's all ok.

These are roots I'm putting down.

I'm learning these trails; the rocks, the turns, the steps. The time of day, the heat and the light.  The tools to make it better, and my ability to handle it.  

 I have a hard time handling left behind orange peels, however.

My mountains.  My hikes.  My adventures.

 
I have a new adventure planned for next week.  I'm told it will change my life๐Ÿ˜Ž

It's gonna be ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment