Sunday, October 22, 2017

Wisdom and the Diet

Last week, I was furious with the scale.  Despite a week of home remodeling, sticking to my calorie count and generally being miserable, I had gained weight.


Monday at lunch.  I was sooooo mad.

Here's where accountability comes in:  the Buckeye was seeing progress, and was noticeably trimmer.  He was consistently losing, and encouraged me not to give up.

On Monday, I decided to do things differently.

So I had lunch of tuna and carrots and I sweet tea.  Mid afternoon, I had the BEST FRIED EGG EVER (I admit to licking the plate!) with olives and tea.  After golf, I stopped at WalMart and got a Chobani yogurt drink and a container of mixed veggies-snap peas, carrots and cherry tomatoes.  Not only was I not hungry, I felt good about it.

My sister, who recently shed extra weight, began exercising and now looks like she did in high school, reminded me I was likely too carb heavy, and sent me her copy of The Insulin-Resistance Diet.


I read it very fast.

She was right; looking at my Lose It! app, I could clearly see I had been indulging in carbs while staying under calories.  In addition, I was waiting to eat.  So I decided to mix it up.  I went shopping, and grabbed some veggies I love (I do adore veggies), the Chobani yogurt drink, more unsweetened tea.  I grabbed ingredients for taco rice & cheese, too (having been introduced to this Okinawa knockoff by the Buckeye, and we had indulged in it Sunday night.)

All week I had eggs for breakfast, and found I often skipped lunch, or just ate light, BECAUSE I HAD HEALTHY FOOD IN THE HOUSE.  I even had eggs on my fasting Wednesday, and easily skipped lunch.  That night I made the taco rice and cheese, adjusted my portion to be only a wee over calories, and enjoyed it thoroughly.


Taco rice & cheese:  make normal taco meat (McCormick's low sodium seasoning and a pound of ground chuck), add equal portion of rice and toss mozzarella on top.  One serving is about 700 calories (the Buckeye said he figured it to be 560 calories) so I simply ate a half portion.

So my two fasting days weren't 500 calories.  One was 559, and the other 669.  They were both more protein heavy (yes I still ate carbs!) but I felt better with the few extra calories.  Both days I also exercised-golf and a bike ride on Monday, on Wednesday a jamming day of home repair.  So my net calories?  Under 500 easily.

The rest of the week I simply tried to eat better.  Yes, I still had chips and Doritos.  Unlike last week, I didn't eat half a bag in one sitting!!  The difference was remembering to chose better sources for those calories, instead of indulging on the comfort foods while staying under calorie count.

The result?

I weigh 170.8 this morning.


I was taking a picture of the finished bathroom, and the dress has pockets😂

My Lose It! app rewarded my achievement of ten pounds being gone with a sprinkle of confetti across my phone screen and insisting I hit the "I Rock!" button:). The Buckeye is .2's of a pound from 10 lbs and anxious to see that goal...we are both ecstatic that our clothes are fitting better and we are wearing clothing we haven't in a while.

Not that ANY OF MY JEANS FIT YET...but this week I indulged in my running capris (which looked fine.  I was happy to at least have those to wear!)

This week, I finished the house remodel that has taken two and a half months, despite hiring out the majority of it.  


Before and After.  It looks so good.

I thought the remodel would go quickly; when I initially moved back to Prescott in August it was to prep the house to rent.  The decision to remodel I thought would only take a few weeks...well, I was terribly mistaken.  While the results were worth it, it's been a a frustrating, bumpy ride.

Kinda like dieting.

You think you'll achieve more, in less time, than you actually do.

In the diet I went the wrong direction for a week...and in the remodel? Ohhhhh that happened.  A lot!!

What got me through the remodel is what is getting me through the diet:  the Buckeye to be accountable to.  Having a partner to share the ups and downs has made a world of difference; ten days ago I would have quit the diet due to frustration.  Wisdom from others has also been a catalyst:  my sister's advice on food was a gentle reminder of how to get back on track; likewise at the house I could NOT have accomplished this without the help of friends.  While certain house decisions (like painting more rooms and cabinets) took more time, the results are amazing.

So much so, I have an amazing idea....😎

Anywise, the diet has helped me shed 10lbs, and I am definitely healthier for it.  The Buckeye feels better, too; the app reminded me the average watermelon weighs ten pounds, and I'm no longer carrying that!  What's nice is we are both eating better, together. 

As Manchild tried taco rice & cheese this week, his face lit up.  The rice soothed his need for carbs, but was properly balanced with fat and protein.  The weather is cooler, so I've got chili on the brain.  I'm inspired to cook more, and more thoughtfully.

Five weeks in-not only am I seeing a difference, I'm making habits.  Good habits.

And hopefully, that's unlikely to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment