Monday, December 30, 2019

Week Two of Stretching

So the day I started stretching was also the day I started Duolingo.


Beag is small and snog is nice....the irony.

I chose to learn Gaelic as that was how I discovered the app:  Gaelic Duolingo was referenced on Twitter (as I follow numerous Scottish accounts.). It was quite fun, which was surprising. I’ve failed at all other attempts to learn another language; even dropping out of my Spanish course in college. To be honest, the method of learning bored me...until now. I’m loving my daily 5-10 minute lesson...and wish I had picked Portuguese instead!!  Now two weeks in, I’m pretty invested in continuing studying Gaelic....but it has made me wonder. I’m doing something I never could do before, simple because it’s being presented differently.

Stretching.....wow.


The Buckeye, my partner.

I am two weeks in, and the Buckeye is ten days in.  We are at 7 minutes a day as of this morning; adding a minute or so more each week.




I know it’s only 5 minutes. But it’s freaking everyday for 5 minutes.

Two weeks ago, I figured I could stretch for 5 minutes a day, and drug an old yoga mat into my office. A few days in, I invited my husband to join me.  It was just 5 minutes...and yet I was SORE. Like I’d had a huge workout sore!!!  Hubby quickly found he felt the same...and this is despite the fact he hikes 2 times a week and I hike at least once. How could we be so sore from simply 5 minutes?!?


Plus walking the dog daily...it’s not like we just sit all day!

The fact he was so sore impressed Hubby we were really on to something....and he insisted we do it first thing every morning. Which meant prior to him leaving for work.

At zero dark thirty.

So for several different days now....the two work days after Christmas and this first week after, I’ve dragged myself from my warm bed to my office....where the ever cheerful Buckeye has our two mats out and waiting.

And it’s so hard.

Hard to get out of my warm bed. Hard to even think of stretching...because I dread how I may feel after.

Nauseous, and lately increasingly sore.

After massive googling, I’m learning to keep my head tilted in one direction.  If I don’t, my tummy gets upset for several hours, not unlike prior yoga experiences.  It has nothing to do with food and everything to do with my neck.  Thus far, I’ve had few days ays without nausea...and I’m hopeful. Because I don’t mind the stretches...and very funnily, the Buckeye does!

We get started, he starts to complain...when all of my complaining is beforehand. In this we are a perfect match...his strength gets me going and my strength keeps him going.

It’s a new camaraderie between us...and it’s so good.  As we form this habit together, I mused that perhaps in time we could mix up other things in the proposed thirty minutes we would allot.


This Buckeye is increasingly happy as of late.

He readily agreed...as he sees our future very much entwined. I’m thinking that maybe exercise just needed to be presented to me in a different way for me to see success...even though we are far from the mere habit of it! As I tucked away the fact I now “know” 175 words of Gaelic, I wonder how many improvements my body has seen since I started stretching daily.  My newest accomplishment? I can bend down and stand back up without using my arms to pull/push myself up. In 5 simple minutes a day.  Add to that the fact my upper back pain is gone. This is just two weeks in....what more awaits?

We shall see:)






No comments:

Post a Comment