Saturday, September 5, 2015

Lessons in Time Travel (and another break)

Time travel reveals interesting stumbling blocks...and mine has been a true revelation.

Three times now I have confronted it; three times now I have turned and walked away from it.  The peace I have gained is immeasurable; each time I am amazed at this difference it has made, this walking away.

Blame Pride and Prejudice, for as Lizzy shares with Jane, "I cannot bear to think that he is alive in the world... and thinking ill of me," I have oft thought that...but of everyone. 

If only I had a Mr. Darcy potentially thinking ill of me...

Being the last one picked at school yard pickem's might be to blame for my desire to be thought of well; I think there's a normal sense of desire to fit in and be thought well of.  As a creative individual, my ideas and motives often come into question; yet my sole desire in life is to have fun, and bring that to others.  To have anyone think other than that became an anathema at some point in my life, and consequensely a major stumbling block.

Jess's birthday dinner last night-such a welcome evening of fun!

The thing I am learning is that so long as I know my motives are/were pure, there's no need to defend myself.  People are too busy to dwell on my actions; my tendency to rehash to "prove my point" only served as a source of distrust.

Ah, my favorite captain knows me well.

In other news, I am fairly certain I am ambidextrous, and should have gone left in sports.

I've been writing exclusively with my left hand for three weeks now, and it actually looks pretty good.  

This was written in bed while I was blogging (in other words, it can look even better when I sit at a desk.)

I've always been right handed but left eye dominant.  This may be why I'm extraordinarily clumsy, and terrible at all sports except walking/hiking/running.

I desperately miss using my poles and being able to hike trails like 261.

Interestingly, all three of my children are ambidextrous.  70% of people are true righty's, 20% ambidextrous and only 10% true lefty's.  My elder daughter now does everything right-handed.  My son?  Writes and eats left, all sports right.  My youngest daughter, everything left.  


I had already discovered I shot very well left (far better than I ever did right), so the handwriting improving by leaps and bounds is interesting.  I was last in all those school yard pickem's because I was horrible at sports.  Maybe this was because I tried them right, when I should have tried them left?

The original steampunker, inspired by HG Wells.

My time machine cannot change the past, but it has shown me a new way to look at my future.  My breaks (yes, breaks.  I broke my left big toe yesterday) have taught me patience, empathy, differences, adaptions, resignation, joy and pride.  Fitness of the mind and soul must be my quest for now, as the physical body heals.

May it please be so.












No comments:

Post a Comment