Sunday, September 13, 2015

Pumpkins & Progress

All of my hairstylists (present and former) will tell you I have an obsession with copper locks.

My latest run in with red.

If it's fall, I want red hair.  No other time of the year do I sport this color; it's my own personal ode to pumpkins.

Because I despise pumpkin spiced lattes.

This was a good week; good plans made, and some new opportunities.  My broken toe stopped hurting, and I hiked three times with no air monster.  I even got an unexpected raise at work!  Yet I ended it on an off note; it was puzzling to me why such highs could produce a low.  In reflection, I noted my best days were days I made progress towards future plans:  actual action was taken.  My low days were days I looked for distractions, in finding none I sunk into the familiar unhappiness.

Progress; or "to walk."  I am reminded of a favorite scripture, Habakkuk 3:19.

"The Lord God is my strength [my source of courage, my invincible army]; He has made my feet [steady and sure] like hinds’ feet, and makes me walk [forward with spiritual confidence] on my high places [of challenge and responsibility.]" AMP

Progress.  Moving forward.  Distractions, while often nice and not a bad thing, do nothing to get us out of the bad place we've been in.  The focus need to be on the future, instead of the present.

Maybe so :)

In working with my time machine, I've learned a visit to the past can reveal major life stumbling blocks and impediments to future success.  A visit to the future can provide the catalyst and roadmap for that success.  The present, however, is where we trip up.  Focusing on the present and trying to muddle through the tough times, we turn to distractions as self medication.  Our attention should be on progress - moving closer to the goals we've laid.

My fascination with time popping up once again.

Time travel.  We're all doing it.  I've learned I can go backwards and forwards in my time, and change things in the present.  The only "what if" I can ever change lies in front of me each day; I can use my past and future together to make the best decision possible.

Last year, I met this Navy SEAL while flying.  I asked him what advice he had for my son, who had thought about becoming a SEAL.

"Just remember that everything they throw at you is designed to make you want to quit.  Then just don't quit."

Don't quit.  Don't stop.  Keep moving forward.  Progress.





No comments:

Post a Comment