Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Magical Mystery Tour

Sometimes, the very best things happen on a whim.
Beautiful Prescott in the fall, Constellation Trails.

Every photo in this blog entry I took "sight unseen."  Meaning my battery power was so low I had to have the brightness very low-so I just pointed in the general direction of what I saw.

It was magic.
Phippen trailhead.

After writing yesterday's blog, talking to a friend and reflection and prayer, I have tremendous peace in my heart that what is best for me is to slow down...in every way.  While not worried or overwhelmed, I was letting frustration over things I could not control dominate my thinking.  As a Strong & Complicated woman, I wanted it fixed, now.

Solve problem NOW, not later.

That is me under bad stress.  I want instant results.  I do not want to think about it, I want it done.

Unfortunately, that doesn't always work when a) you work in government, b) you're starting a business and c) in general with any people in your life.  

That's one twisted mess....

Today, I got to drive the old police cruiser, an '07 Dodge Charger.
Let's just say it's my FAVORITE part of my job when that happens....

I had a luncheon with the Chamber and errands to run in Prescott; it also meant I had a 1/2 hour lunch break with lunch already eaten.

Thinking heavily about my recent decisions and conversations, and remembering the nightly shakes that had disturbed my sleep, I decided to hike the Constellation Trail on my return back to Chino after running errands in Prescott.  I knew I could take the North 40 and cut back on Ham & Cheese for an easy 20 minute hike.  That, and I had on boots.

Well, riding boots.

Because who says I couldn't look amazing while hiking, right?

Utterly enchanting Prescott.

Many years ago, I hiked Hadrian's Wall in Northumbria.  Steeped in Arthurian Legend and set away in rural pastures and hills, I had found a lingering hope that soothed my soul.

Today was such a day.

The first glimpse of rocks.

I had hiked this trail alone in January, in a wet snow that delighted every part of me. 

That day was one of the happiest of my life...I later built a snowman.

Today, the same joy that had filled me in January captured my soul once again--I was amongst my beloved rocks, in charge, and enjoying the views.

I actually "ran" this.  Experimenting, of course, and the obvious influence of the Scientist.

Crawling through rocks.  Pure bliss.

Remember, I was aiming the camera in the general direction of the area I wanted to shoot.  I had no clue if these would turn out.

My heart skips a beat just in memory of this...it was exactly what I needed.

Eighteen months ago, my neurologist reminded me that I needed to hike weekly to get rid of the build up of stress.  There truly has not been time....not since we bought Greenie, and then the added twist of adding a second location immediately.

Sweet Greenie.

So the decision in the past week to "slow down" has been one I honestly thought impossible--there's simply too much to do!

Or is there?

 
Let's just say I felt well protected from snakes.  I also wished my Preheel had already arrived...

So, I'm slowing down.  At work, at home, in all things...

And suddenly I found time to hike.

I had already gone to the chamber, so who cares if I got sweaty?!  Oh.  Tonight's date might, but hey!  Lol!  I'm not kissing him!!

Hiking is a balm to my weary heart.  While I haven't been worried (far from it, frustration is an entirely different form of evil) I have let frustration drive my decisions.  I make them fast and quick...and now is not the time for that.

The Constellation Trails is named for a Constellation aircraft that crashed there in 1959.  Only opened to the public in 2011, pieces of the doomed plane are still found there; I had last found a piece months ago.  Today I stopped to chat to a man about snakes on the trail, and glancing down (to look for snakes) as we chatted, I spotted a piece.

Please note the block M lanyard on my wrist.  Just because I want to point it out to a certain Buckeye.

It was a pretty big piece, and I was amazed to find it in this trail section-so close to the trailhead.  Looking it over, I was stunned to see something else:  it looked like a heart.

(Or the state of Ohio.  Proof the Buckeyes are going to fail on the football field this season.)

My prayer was for patience, to protect my heart both emotionally and physically.  The trail then hands me one.  Normally, I throw all aircraft wreckage into the collected pile; respecting those who perished. As I walked back towards the motley heap of twisted pieces, I stopped.

Clutching the ragged fragment to my breast, I headed to the trailhead.  The point of joy it represented I needed with me for a bit longer; I vow I will add it to the pile, someday.

Someday, when these days of chosen slowness have past, and my heart is secure once more.  Someday, when my body is healthy, and I have found the fitness I quest for.  

Until then, it is my talisman.

I stuck a magnet to it to make sure it was wreckage.  It was!

A coincidence I found it?  Never.  God knew exactly what I needed today, and amply provided.

I simply had to hike to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment