Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Mere Genetics

He's here for the holidays, and it would be silly not to ask.


The Princess with her father The King.

I've been up coughing all night, a wicked chest cold keeping me miserable when I really am desperate for a fun snow hike.  My "vacation" started a day early with a stomach bug; the sore throat from throwing up quickly progressed into a chest cold of epic proportions (I think I must have inhaled something as it came up-this is miserable!). We lucked out with 6-8" of snow on Christmas Eve and had the delight of a white Christmas-rare in most of the country but rarer still in Arizona.



Beautiful Christmas Morning.

The kids spent time sledding; one of my favorite pastimes.  Instead of joining them I nursed another hot cup of tea, hoping for some relief.  As the day went by I ached for some exercise, and the thought of a snow hike creeped up.  I had crampons and poles...why not?

Never mind I couldn't breath and the cough was horrendous.


I love snow.  Hate winter, love snow.  Makes Prescott about perfect-we get snow but it disappears fast.

By Monday morning it had spread to a head cold as well; I was more determined than ever to hike.

Or maybe just to get the hell out of the house. 


love Christmas.  But I'm tired of it 24/7 the last four days! Lol!

The King was here; we agreed a year ago when we divorced that unless one of us had remarried, we'd spend every holiday together with the kids.  Up until now that hadn't been an issue; this last month, however, the strain of the house still not selling had taken a huge toll.  We didn't really talk and tried to busy ourselves away from each other; it was difficult to even be civil.  Then he brought me coffee after a night of coughing...and the barriers we'd both erected slipped.

"Why are my legs still toned when I'm not exercising near as much as I did this summer?" I inquired, and off he went into a genetics lecture.  We rehashed the last few weeks of exercise and my asthma diagnosis, which he admitted made some sense.  We chatted about George Michael's death and that of Alan Thicke the week or so before (poor Carrie Fisher-she could easily be #3!! Eek!) and had a frank discussion about the casual cocaine use by all three in the eighties and nineties....and how it those choices eventually catch up to you.

While I've never touched a single drug, my sedentary lifestyle worries me.  The last two years I've tried in vain to regularly exercise; living with my parents now I see the results of their lifetime choices.  Dad's bad knees (from exercise) haunt him; daily life is a struggle.  Mom's sedentary life caught up with her six years ago; only now is she somewhat recovered.  Reflecting on both 2015 & 2016, I cannot look back with much satisfaction; I certainly don't want 2017 to be a repeat in failure.  My genetics may have kept me toned when I'm not working out as often as I should, but what can I do to make this next year better?


This can be viewed several different ways...

Lately I've been cutting ties; untethering myself from old relationships that clung despite changes in circumstances.  Flyboy has been encouraging me to be patient in all areas of my life: little did he know that for most of my life James 1:4 has been my mantra:

There she be....

Interestingly, as I just pulled up that scripture, most versions used the word "perserverance" instead of patience.  Of course, I grabbed my Amplified Bible to confirm, it said "endurance, steadfastness & patience."

All things I have readily pursued in my Fitness Quest, with the exception of one.

Patient.

That I am not.  I like immediate results.

Recently, I was told "we have all the time in the world."  Conversely, in my favorite Star Trek:The Next Generation episode #125 The Inner Light, Picard tells his daughter Meribor:


This song makes me weep.  I heard it at the symphony this summer-a highlight of my year.

Now.  Patience.

An article I read this morning suggested making a list of things you want, but to divide them into three sections:  "Write an 'I Want' list and divide it into: 'I Want To Feel', 'I Want To Have' and 'I Want To Be/Achieve'." (The HappinessConcierge) 

Right now I just want to hike this in the snow...

Patience. Now.

How does one satisfy both?

A reset button has just been pushed in one area of my life this past weekend, and I wonder how many more resets I need now in this life.

Or how many I should just be patient with.

Regretfully, I suspect I should be patient with my body as it's fighting off this virus.  A cold snow hike with struggling lungs probably isn't wise.  As the daylight brightens the snowy landscape and my ears ache from the still sore throats, I try to think of alternatives.  

I hate being sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment