Monday, December 19, 2016

Peaking

How in the world I did what I did today, when Thursday was so hard, I have no idea.

 Top of Piestewa Peak, Phoenix

While it took longer than the promised 45 minutes, I was so overwhelmingly delighted with this morning's solo hike.

We each found our own part of the Peak it seems...

 This weekend I had a spot of time away-and managed three hikes in four days.  South Mountain in Awatukee started my weekend, and quite honestly, it was tough.

 But stunningly beautiful!

I struggled breathing, even though the lead up was relatively flat.  I knew my friends ran this on a regular basis-a thought that rather horrified me.

 That's the trail, folks.

Not trail conditions - rather the lack of air.  My hiking partner eventually insisted I give up the backpack; the last bit was better with the load lightened.

Our lunch perch.

I'd not hiked any mountains in metro Phoenix, and love the topographic changes.  It's much more rocky, and steepness is assured...but dang.  Air, anyone?  My tones legs assured me I wasn't out of shape.

Friday I hiked Kierland...

 
Teehee

And had lunch with my oldest...
 
Hm.  Still no blog nickname.  El Presidente?

That evening was Rogue One.

BEST. MOVIE. SINCE. EMPIRE.

The next morning was Dreamy Draw; I took Booms along which meant we hiked instead of ran.  He's recovering from a horrifying bike accident, and trail running isn't quite on the agenda.  I ran a few sprints but immediately started indrawing; it seemed better to give up a trail run in lieu of breathing.

That evening I attended the Arizona Girls's Choir Christmas concert-which my friends' daughter was in.  These classically trained young women were astounding.

 The evening's venue...I'm amazed the continuing effect the Symphony has had on me this year. My appreciation of fine music was grown astronomically.

That evening the three of us enjoyed conversation and wine after the seven year old Songstress  had gone to bed; I have truly missed time with friends.  We made plans for a morning hike up Piestewa (they live at the base), and we all headed to bed.

I vaguely recall my text tone going off at 1am ish.

The Songstress hopped on my bed at 7am, and we had an animated conversation about Santa missing Australia one year, and how women wore dresses FOREVER until just about one hundred years ago.

Morning plans changed when one friend woke with a swollen knee, so I decided to hike by myself (my how times have changed....for the better.). I built a new playlist based on my happier mood, and set off with poles in hand.

Good lord.

 
The "trail."

I loved every second.

And I could breathe.

 
Ridiculously pleased that the Air Monster had not attended.

 
 "Every place upon which the sole of your foot shall tread, that have I given to you, as I promised."

As I neared the Summit and scrambled up the last twenty feet on hands and knees, my beloved Divenire by Brahms came on.  My heart nearly exploded in my chest from sheer emotion-this composition has so caught my imagination.  No longer will I be a conquest, rather I shall be the conqueror.  

 
Then I saw the time...

I had to race back down the steep trail to meet up with Kyle for business...and it was a great meeting.  Of course I was all smiles.

Red.  Again.

I had the reset I so needed.

Grateful for the friends (and understanding family) that made it possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment