Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Six weeks of Stretching

Like a newborn, we are still measuring things in weeks around here.


We also rejoice when then vending machine accidentally drops a free M&M’s, too.

While I’ve noticed changes from stretching, this week there’s been some very obvious ones:

1) I notice I’m bent over, and want to sit up/stand up straight 

2) I notice when my hips are back, and regularly pull them forward into proper form

3) Proper hip position changes every stretch

4) I still don’t feel “stronger” 

5) my joints are noisy

Sitting at my desk, I raised my chair so that I can’t sit with my legs folded up under me.  It encourages me to sit up straighter, even though the computer screen is still rather low. 


Not that you can see my desk; LLC taxes over took it!

Taxes usurped my creativity the last few days; as I filed a 1099 and filed my business taxes. I’ll put it all away this morning to focus on writing the first puzzle ride; an idea which I no longer worry about people stealing as it’s so freaking involved. 


I had to make paths in my office....

We did another escape room this weekend; while we won I felt it was anticlimactic. There were several red herrings, which made the final minutes less exciting as I’m like “but wait, what about??” instead of enjoying the outcome. In addition, the game master willingly gave us clues-that we didn’t ask for-and that took out some of the joy.

Lately, there’s been a lot that has taken out joy. 

There’s an adrenaline kick when you start a new venture-a jolt that gets you out of the starting gate. As time goes on, you grow weary; whether out of frustration, pain or just slow-going, they all tend to bog down your initial enthusiasm.

Stretching is best when it’s not done everyday. I’m finding a break or two weekly refreshes me.

Conversely, taking a weekend off from work at this new stage was not the best idea. With tax paperwork due, it would have been better to have spent more time getting it done.

There’s an old saying: “everything in moderation” and I suppose that’s what everyone has to figure out for themselves.  How much exercise, how much work, how much time should be devoted to something.  

Yesterday was the three-year anniversary of actually meeting the Buckeye; while we’d known each other for over a year, it took us a bit before we went on that first date. Our early relationship started very slowly, very cautiously...and in the process, we built a very solid foundation. We didn’t rush to put it together, in honesty the Buckeye was quite methodical. We joke now of his gauntlet, and yet it was that very thing that proved our mettle as first friends, then a couple.  While his job loss and injury has been very hard, our relationship has stood because of that firm foundation.

As I build a habit of stretching, I am hopeful it is also a strong foundation for a future of better health.  While we figure out what that looks like in terms of frequency and intensity, I am reminded that it’s ok to start something slow. It’s ok to be patient as you build a habit (or a new business.)


Now this? This has brought joy.

I decided a “puzzle” would involve “old” technology, and bought an old tape recorder.  Going through old tapes, I found one of me at 20, which I had intended on sending to a friend.  To hear my thoughts, and to remember my life in my junior year of college nearly 30 years ago was highly entertaining.  For starters, my older daughter sounds much like me; often times I thought it was her voice.  In addition, my younger daughter righteously got some of her neuroses from me...I had to chuckle at our natural suspicion of people.  It was also quite fun to recall the very start of a relationship with my Great White Buffalo, details I had long forgotten. In hindsight, I was the outlier I always have been; completely unguided by a very “it must be this way” world.  I was actually just two months away from meeting the Knight; who very much like the Buckeye would be a pillar of support.

Why any of my husbands love/d a goofball like me is beyond my comprehension.....

Support.

I wouldn’t be stretching for the last six weeks without the Buckeye; his support has made it possible.

Duolingo and Gaelic? No support needed. I thoroughly enjoy (and look forward to!) my daily lesson.  No one in my family likes it, though, and they groan when they hear me practicing. I laugh, and do it anywise. Tapadh leat, gu math!  

So why do we need support in somethings and not others? Why did the Knight and the Buckeye’s support mean the world, when the lack of support from the King was just as powerful of a motivation (just like my family’s lack of support (and even mild mocking) for my learning Gaelic?)

Was the lack of support accountability?

For I’m determined to “show them” they are wrong, or is it just I truly enjoy the activity?

I explain this to the Buckeye, who reminds me of the youth leader who once told him he’d only last five minutes in Marine Corp boot camp. It was that comment, that lack of support, that drove him when boot camp got hard. It forced him to be accountable to himself, and his goals. Similarly, when the King thought I could not succeed in business (it took being on a plane to Hawaii for him to finally change his tune) it drove me hard to find success.

I’m going to go with lack of support in the short term can drive one to succeed.  But at some point, the going is going to get rough...and sometimes support can make or break our future successes.

I’ve had some support in fitness, no support, and constant support. Thus far constant support is needed.  There is no way I’d keep doing this, despite the positive changes, without the Buckeye.  In business however, I’ve done much of Ride alone. Lately though I’m really needing help, which is not as forthcoming as I’d hoped. 

Support. I’m hoping the muscles that support my body are growing stronger and more flexible as I stretch them. I know Ride would grow stronger with more support. I’m hoping my support of others is helping them.

Crazy the things one things of when exercising:). Fitness Quest.  Keeping it real.










No comments:

Post a Comment