Monday, August 3, 2015

The race to Mackinac

Unfortunately, no yachts were involved.

Last week I posted this.

I couldn't wait to get here; it actually got me on the plane.  I have said for awhile a week to myself might do me good; three nights by myself were bliss. Sunday morning I cried getting ready, and blubbered on the way to the shuttle.

Only Mackinac drew me east.

I wore a long flowy maxi, my newly skinned knees (did I mention I took a tumble in front of 20 people at work Friday in a dress?) needing a break from rubbing jeans and suggestive comments.  A former road warrior, I tossed socks and a sweater in my beloved striped Coach carry-on, and on a last second impulse snatched the pillow from my bed.

Alas, it's the Katy.  Not Katie.  

And then I cried some more.

It's my first trip since lia ended; my first trip that doesn't include business.  

I miss it so much.

There was no jewelry to pack, no training to prepare.  No need to be "on" and no one to inspire.

I hate it.

While I love my new job, I miss my old life.

At least I still get to wear Elie Tahari and great jewelry!

So maybe Mackinac will bring me some peace?

I leave at 7am, and touch down in Detroit at 5:45pm.

The road trip begins immediately north, but all I can see is my double chin.

Alex does all the driving; it's awesome having a nephew whose almost 20.

I missed him!

We checked in just shy of 11pm.

Today dawned brilliant.

BFF Carol.  Note my flat hair-no blow dryer.

Strike One:  Arnold Line got rid of their catamarans.  Which meant Slow Boat.

Before we waited an hour...

Strike Two:  Lunch took an hour to arrive at the Seabiscuit Cafe (but the painted pony macaroni kinda made up for it.)

But the weather was perfect, and all five of us made it up to the fort.

View from the canon.

Carol and I went to the east blockhouse, and I thought of the gazebo...was it still there?

A hike uphill was necessary:)

I'm fat again, but love spending time with these three!

This is the Somewhere in Time gazebo.

Anne's Tablet.  My Grama, Anne, loved this spot.

The hike back to town wasn't much of a "hike" per se...

114 steps down.

We then got bikes, and headed inland.

Stonecliffe.


So many happy memories; riding the bike to the mansion I finally felt calm.

We then headed to the airport, and down to British Landing, 201 years minus one day after the battle.

We went very fast 😜

These two!

Of course, no trip around the island is complete without a favorite stop.

"Is it you?"

Too soon, we were on the dock.


Bidding goodbye.

It will be awhile before I return.

Tired.

I guess I'm still looking.



No comments:

Post a Comment