Monday, February 22, 2016

The High

I am stunned.

The Flume, breathtaking even in winter gloom...

I picked the Flume because it's an easier hike-I knew damn well I couldn't handle my beloved Butte.  Of course I didn't count on Ian making the Flume tougher by the circuitous route he took.

Some things never change...I'm well more than 40 paces behind!

So while it was tougher, and I hacked and coughed, it was do-able...much to my delight.  While far behind my hiking partner, I was able to keep pace and talk-neither things I thought I could do.  It felt good to be out, working up a sweat and drinking in the beautiful rocks, sky and water.  Each coughing fit cleared more gunk, and I could honestly breath better.  We finished up 40 minutes later, and I could not hide my delight.

Hiking had been worth it.

I felt tension roll off me as I scrambled to keep up.  I loved feeling the stretch in my leg muscles as I scaled the hills.  My head cleared and I felt better about decisions I'd been making, and gained confidence as I shared them with my partner.  I could feel the vestiges of illness shake free from my lungs, and breathing actually became easier as we progressed.

This was part of it...

We finished the hike and made plans for two weeks from now, as we both are out of town next week.  Driving home I could not believe my elation...and ruefully recognized the hiker's high.  

It's amazing what inspires us.

Hiking.  My stress-busting, concussion-curing friend.  Can you hear it?  It's the Canyon.  It's calling.

I must go.





No comments:

Post a Comment