Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Lessons

I met a beekeeper this weekend, whose golden honey I didn't get to taste.

I like the slightly crunchy crystallized bits.

An outlier like myself, beekeeping was just one of his many interests....and the longer we chatted, he began to draw correlations between our personalities.

"But what if..."

And off we'd go.

It was the first time in a long time I'd been challenged to think of possibilities, instead of offering them.  I loved the conversation.

This world seems to be one of societal absolutes; there is popular opinion, politically correct opinion, scientific opinion, etc.  Meet anyone of a different opinion than you and suddenly walls go up.  Each position takes a side, and neither listens with intent.

Like this Super Bowl Ad:




Is this in support of illegal immigration, the American Dream or both?

Conservatives felt it was terrible, a cruel blow to any one who'd lost a love one to crime perpetrated by any illegal in the last 100+ years.

Liberals loved the emotional visuals, and the message all should have a chance at freedom (unless you disagree, than get off my campus and give me my safe space.)

While I'm over here weeping, empathizing with the journey and the missed opportunity to getting both sides to think.

No mother among us did not identify with this woman, brave enough to try and secure a better life for her child.

But a wall with an unlocked door?

If and when a wall is built, the door will be guarded and locked.  It's simply how it will be. This fantasy ending ruined (for me) a message that had the opportunity for both sides to think.  The answer is not the simple fairytale the commercial portrays, and it is actually something the left should question.  You want the open right to come here, but what then?  What we do now doesn't work....and the problems grow sevenfold for illegals.  

The question for the right?

Where is the end of the line for a woman like this?

A woman courageous enough to make a dangerous journey into the unknown, seeking a better life for herself and her child?  The classic American story, is it not?  "Go to the end of the line" is the over spoken response.  Would you not think if she knew where this line was she would not find it?

We can Google the answer, to discover this line.  We'd find it involves lawyers and legal fees and more money than she'd ever have.  Google, however, is something she does not have, nor does she have money.  She has nothing but stories and hope.  Hope that built over time until she could no longer ignore its pull.  Joy that bubbled up in her as she made the decision to make the leap, hoping for the best for her child, knowing the hours and days and weeks would be long, even after she made the decision to go.

Yes, she knew she wasn't doing it the "right" way.  But any other way?  Who was there to guide her?

 
Hmmm....seeing some interesting correlations here...

My journey back to the land of entrepreneurship is fraught with perils.  My safety net of an income-earning spouse is gone, and I know I'm not doing it quite right (not illegally, but without the guidance I'd love to have.)

Technically, I know where the end of the line is.  I'm in it, and doing what I know to do to open my company.  It's a risk--much is at stake, but I do it as I must make a better life for myself and my children.

Not unlike the immigrant in the ad.

The difference?  I have no fantasy door to walk through to freedom.  I have hours of work ahead of me that I thrive on.  Despite the stress and the ups and downs, I have a deep knowing I am on the right path.

Like learning to enjoy doing things by myself.

 
Only one shadow.

My "bad" hike with a surly partner reminded me how nice it is to learn a skill without commentary; I thought  often on it during my "bad" trail run later in the week.

I had been sooooo looking forward to that run.

 That ended pretty quick.

An asthma attack in the first mile that left me shaken. Then horrendous calf cramps that were so bad I had to sit down and rest.

Getting up, everything clicked, and I ran...and then had a bad poke on my left foot (I run in minimus shoes--it's like the toe shoes but no crazy toes) and I twisted my foot in response.

I literally stomped-limped off the trail.

But it was only me.  No one had seen my three failures.  No one was there to be critical, or to tell me to "suck it up."  My try and fail moment was mine.

I liked that.

So I went to Topgolf by myself the next morning.

 In this sunshiny morning light....:)

Twenty plus years ago, I had tried golf and failed.  Many tears and much frustration--my poor Knight gave up even suggesting it as it was so bad.  Recently I had tried it and found after my initial trepidation I enjoyed it...I had a good instructor, too, so that helped. Could I do it alone with just the one lesson?

Why no one every proposed golf to me as a thinking strategy game before...

There was a thinking strategy here, too.

I enjoyed my time tremendously; with a wee bit of arrogant confidence I can say I have an amazing chip shot.

Can't get the ball past 90yds....but hey!  It's a success I'll hopefully grow.

And I liked not having anyone there...in this instance, while I was applying a new skill set.

In trail running, I'm completely self taught.  I did have to go to others for help, and quite honestly I know I'm still landing wrong, but I've basically learned it on my own.

Pretty sure I can't do that with golf.

The bit I did learn I loved applying, but I'm cognizant that I need more actual lessons to succeed.

And it would be amazing to have that instructor back😜

Whether it be exercise or my new business, this journey I'm on is much like that immigrant in the ad.  I would like more guidance, but am not certain where to find it.  I know the destination, and much like the child, I am finding bits of beauty along the way.  I've come up against many walls already, but there's been no golden unlocked door to let me through them (and perhaps that's why I get so angry when the argument ends there.)  Forward momentum and not taking my eyes off the end goal keep me moving...whether it's a goal of running up and down Piestewa Peak, to open successfully in 17 days or just to hit a golf ball more than 90yds.

Fitness quest:  I'm learning how to exercise, and what exercise works best for me.  Who'd have thought that I'd discover so much about myself along the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment