Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Man Behind the Curtain

I just watched a young musician give up his place in line at an incredible open mic night.  He's taking home the father of his friend we happened to bump into, who also happened to have too much to drink.

 Rebel Lounge in Phoenix.

Kyle had tricked me into coming out after I closed my eyes for "just a minute" before driving home to Prescott for a few days before we launch Ride.  When I woke up a few hours later and it was dark I decided to stay, while approving proofs my business partner insisted we should grab dinner to go over more stuff before he left for a week of work three hours away.  I quickly uncovered his ruse when we ended up in Phoenix instead of somewhere off of Cooper Rd; we ran into Jam when we walked in.  He plays bass one of the bands Kyle represents and tonight was a solo outing.

Except he left to take care of a friend.

These are the unsung moments of the man behind the curtain...a role each of us can assume.

Maybe I assume it too much.

 I felt like I was in Michigan this morning.  Snow and pines.

Long drives are soothing to my soul; perhaps that's one reason owning businesses in Scottsdale and Prescott both suit me.  In the valley people balk at leaving their neck of the sunshine; I laugh when asked where I live (technically Mesa, but I exist in Scottsdale) as I drive here from Prescott!  My thirty-forty minutes to meet someone is no biggie; at home I'm a minimal twenty-five minutes from anywhere.  So driving anywhere?  No biggie for me.  If I can make it happen, I'm happy to.

Yet here?  It's a massive imposition to most.  So I'm different...and it's ok to be kind and drive.

 I love how the topography in AZ changes:) The Central Highlands.

We all make choices; last Friday I chose to drop an argument and forgive rather than continue it.  The next day I was face to face with them; other than a weary acknowledgement of "sorry" from both of us it was back to business as usual.  Later we walked arm in arm after a successful meeting, and I marveled at how quickly the past was the past.  I cannot imagine carrying around a grudge...it seems senseless to me.  Yet many do--perhaps 80%?--and we are judged regularly by the actions of those who have gone before us.  Is there ever an opportunity to prove ourselves not to be cut from the same cloth?

 Saguaros and sunshine.

Today I twice made good choices about food, and one very bad but delicious choice.  Two out of three is better than the 52 million calories I consumed a few days ago, and I am reminded little changes to create habits take 21 days.  Yesterday I actually cooked😳 and have to admit, I feel better knowing my calorie consumption wasn't out of hand.  I also cleaned my car and ticked off another 7 boxes on the Ride opening checklist; our first cart arrives tomorrow.  I plan on getting in a run before I head up the hill, another unplanned benefit from my unexpected nap.

 Jam...who still got to sing.

When life hands you something unexpected, I've often made it a positive.  It's being able to see those as opportunities that makes the difference.

Can everything negative be made a positive?

You'll never know until you explore it.

 
😜

I think of the many times I've held things together, unsung and unheralded.  Like Jam, who left to do the right thing.  

 
"Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain..."

In The Wizard of Oz The Wizard proved much more "powerful" when revealed, pointing out simple truths which helped Dorothy and her friends much more than the elaborate quest he had sent them on.  His work behind the curtain wasn't to help...it was conniving.  So it seems we are often judged to be if we aren't bragging about what we do.

 
I can't quite call failing repeatedly at sport and diet bragging.  Keeping it real, yes.

I like doing the right thing because it's the right thing, yet being judged by the characteristics of others is wearying.  Of being accused of trying to get something simply because one is kind.  

My agenda is only to make people smile.  I'm not a comedian, so laughter is a stretch:). If I give them encouragement along the way?  Even better.

A ride on a golf cart in traffic?  Guaranteed smiles.  

Making fun of my Fitness Quest?  Smiles, and hopefully encouragement.

My golf swing? 😂😂😂

Ok, maybe I can make people laugh:)

Lately I've found myself lamenting that it doesn't ever seem to payoff....but that sounds an awful lot like the man behind the curtain.  We have seasons in life; hopefully this has just been a winter. 

And the kindnesses I've sowed will bloom as blessings for others in the spring.

 
Spring is already starting in the valley...

Fitness Quest.  Trying so desperately to keep it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment