Saturday, August 20, 2016

Could it be?

Knowledge is power.

 
As is red lipstick, but that's another blog.

Exercise.  Fitness Quest.  The thing keeps haunting me, and I cannot get away from it.

 
Nor can I get away from my alma mater, wise and glorious, shrine of light and home of truth.  Amazing what memories pop up when the song unexpectedly pops up on your Mendellsohn Pandora station.

The past few weeks my exercise routine has consisted of cleaning and dancing....which, while wearing a corset, makes the latter rather a breathless experience.

 
As does riding in a car.  I was not happy here.  

However.  Exercise.

I took the time to reread portions of my blog this week (haha, to see what editing should rapidly be done) and I was again entranced by my quest.  With so much in my life in the control of others (home sales are by far the most out of control circumstances one can find themselves in) is my fitness quest the only thing I control outright?  Ride is still not launched due to waiting for others to complete tasks...but the Quest?  Is it my sole outlet for control?

Which leads to a new theory.  Is the 20% who actively participate in exercise control freaks?

Well.  Not control freaks as in psychologically unsound.  Freaks as in freaks of nature.

Digging a big hole here...!!!

 
Please remember that these opinions are expressed by a girl who is trying to decide on the next shade of her hair and these are her three favorite.  Grain of salt, please.

So let's go back a bit.

I've been rereading my blog. Then had several fascinating discussions about exercise psychology, followed by reading several academic papers on the subject.

Utterly fascinating.

 
 He ain't got anything on me.

An earlier theory of mine (formulated at CrossFit with the Professor and his minion Mr. Hottie) was that exercise could possibly be made palatable if the mind was first conditioned before exercise was ever contemplated.  Not moments before, but over time.

I believe I may have had my first experiment in proving it.

All week, I've been talking about exercise.  Gaining knowledge, exploring new ideas.  

 
Like Captain Crunch ice cream!!  Whose idea was this?  Incredible!!

While I had a few plans to exercise this week, I wasn't disappointed when rain cancelled them.  In fact, I was relieved.

 
Summer monsoons.  Rain on Table Top, sunshine on Granite.

So imagine my utter surprise when I woke up and wanted to ride my bike.

 
Maybe it's because I'm developing a health initiative for the Peavine Trail at work and I have this cool bike I got as a birthday present on my cork board?

Or maybe it's because all week my brain was inundated with the messages about exercise and why we do or don't?

Now let's throw in another factor.  Nothing I was reading about was motivational (have your read academic papers?  I rest my case.)  Not one "just do it" or "suck it up buttercup."  No cases for better health or lifetime longevity.  Just how the brain functions....and yet I was so intrigued.

With the research. Really.😜😂
 
Earlier in the week I was intrigued by my meat laden Mac n cheese.  Really.

Yet today....I couldn't shake it.  I truly wanted to exercise.

I can sincerely say this has never happened in my entire life.

The journey to that actually happening, however, was frought with problems.  Getting dressed for one, that was an issue.  Problem was solved by staying in my pj's and just adding a bra.

 
Any chance to show off my Guns n Roses tee 😍
Then the issue of no water bottles.

And no clean water.

As each little hurdle was overcome, I had to wonder if my brain counted these as victories or rewards🤔
Then the defeat:  my tires needed air, and I could not find the pump.

That only left a 5-song workout.

I fretted.  I stalled.  I made videos while procrastinating.

And then I just did it.

 

Thankfully, Kyle called inbetween the sit ups and squats.  My business partner is awesome.

I finished the workout, and the most amazing thing happened.

I felt good.

 
WHY?!?

Why do I not regret it?  Why do I have an exercise buzz for the first time in my life?  Why do I feel like I do when I leave the Canyon?  Why do I feel it in my bones enough to make my systems roam?????? 

Fitness quest.  The most unreal experience of my life.  Did exposing my brain to the idea trigger something?  Is it physiological?  Or psychological?

All I know is this:  something changed.  I want to know what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment