Sunday, August 28, 2016

Encouragement

I *think* my burn is starting to heal.  

 
I couldn't eat the yummy egg salad I had bought:(

A week ago, I happened to bite into a too hot meatball sub.

I knew I burned the roof of my mouth with the first bite, but it was 3:45, we were going to a 4pm movie, it was the first meal I'd eaten...so I took another bite after blowing on it.  Scalded again.

I clearly remember thinking I needed a cold drink at the movies, as I had at least three burns.  They hurt, but only in an annoying sense.  I'm not a believer in any pain meds, so my tolerance is pretty high.

Oh, how that was to be tested this week.

In the wee hours of Tuesday morning, I awoke in searing pain-the burn had become infected.  Coffee that morning wasn't possible, nor was my egg salad lunch finished.  Wednesday my lymph nodes were swollen, and only tepid water was noniritating.

With no fever, I added hydrogen peroxide rinses to my salt water rinses, and purchased no fewer than three oral analgesics. 

They burned to apply.

My face lit up with nerve pain, my teeth ached, my eyes watered and my ears rang.

By Thursday I had lost 4lbs, and jokingly referred to it as "my lose weight without exercising program."

 
I managed to drink my favorite Dutch Bros by sheer willpower.

A quick trip to the doctor confirmed second degree burns, but he didn't think it was infected.  Instead he prescribed steroids, to try and calm the inflammation.

I refused prescription pain meds, and resorted to Tylenol and Advil. Thursday night I barely managed ice cream-the cold burned, too.

 
Quite miserable.

Friday I was wretched.  No pain relief, and my fourth full day of no real food-just bits I managed to get down.  Add to it business delays, and I was ready to quit.

How far in one week had I fallen.

Did I mention my parents moved in with me, too?  

Exercise?  Never crossed my mind.

But a cold sore sprouted on my lip!  Let's add insult to injury.

But this happened:
 
Two drivable, with frames, carts.  Finally.

And this:

 
He played one and a half quarters of Varsity!

And this:
 
The Princess in marching band.  First instrument ever!

And this:
 
Dr. Cravath & I after our second old Arizona History lecture, "Honky Tonks, Brothels & Mining Camps."

And then the prednisone worked.  It still hurts, but I'm no longer in pain.  If I touch it (which is hard not to do!) it's sore.  The searing pain, however, is gone.

Funny how the physical & emotional tie themselves together.  A stressful week emotionally coupled with a physical injury....did one lend itself more to aggrevate the other?  

Apparently, if I exercised I might have felt better.

 
I admit, my Thursday morning hike on the Chino Peavine did me a world of good.

A massage on Friday reset me.

Ride will launch, maybe this week.

My parents are actually wonderful people, and we've already settled in well.

Jenny is here for the weekend, and Nathan came with her.  Manchild and he were born 7 weeks apart, and were best buddies for 5 years.  A move separated them, but yesterday you couldn't tell. 

I ate dinner last night.  This major milestone pleased me to no end:)

This last week was an intense roller coaster.  I was so weary due to the pain, it seemed no relief was in sight. I began to over analyze everything, and quitting seemed easier.
 
Once again, my dearest business partner was the shoulder to cry on.  He calmly redirected my efforts all day, and kept me on task.  In short, he gave me encouragement.

 
This is why we are business partners:  we have a vision we will achieve together.  He's strong where I am weak, and vice versa.  We will launch Ride...soon.

 
Still not quite there.

Encouragement.  Isn't that the basis of a partnership?  When it comes to exercise, I must have a partner.  Aren't we designed for partnership??  As a child, you have a parent partnered with you.  As an adult, most often, a spouse.  At work, coworkers.  In sports, a team.

Why in the hell isn't the fitness world geared this way?  Oh, I suppose classes count...but.  Where's the encouragement?

The 20% who just do it...is it because they are introverts who would rather be alone?! 

Sigh.

Encouragement. So thankful for my business partner, who soothed my soul by listening as I broke down and still believed in me, got me back on track, and didn't take (most of it) personally.  You're the best, Kyle.  We'd suck at being fitness partners or as life partners (haha!!  Sometimes I laugh that we tried to date!!) but as a business partner you rock.  #LYBP❤️
My fitness quest needs a partner.  It would make sense if it could be a potential partner in life, too.

Applicants can apply at Thumb Butte:)

 
You'll know where to find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment