Saturday, September 3, 2016

Traditions & New Beginnings

Sixteen years ago today, I was in labor at the church Labor Day picnic.

Manchild is Sweet Sixteen today.
 
He's holding a very sharp weapon.  I made him put it away very quickly!

Being Territorial Days in Chino, I had to get him up early to open presents.  I'm big on birthdays--if I take the time I can recall a memory from almost every one I've had--and it pains me that I had to work.

 
Even though the weather is gorgeous, and it's all hanging out outside....

Chino's parade had been described to me as "a weird Chino parade."  I found it to be utterly delightful-it was a tailgate!!!

 
For two miles--tailgating parade goers.  Never seen anything like it.

They've done this for 30+ years....the only thing I'd change?  Add a few flyovers and make sure everyone in town knows about it next year.  It's a tradition that should continue (along with the 66th annual Corn Dinner) for years to come.

Traditions:  as a historian I love them.  The continuity they provide is foundational in the lives of a family or a community.  Whether a family tradition of getting up early to open gifts (the Viking War Hammer also proved quite popular this morning) or a community parade on a country road; these are things that can be counted on to continue.

Until you get divorced.

Thankfully, the King & I have a great relationship; indeed, I think the best thing we ever did for our marriage was end it.  In all the years of spoiling him with gifts and travels, giving him back his bachelorhood seems to be his favorite.  For our children, however?  My heart aches.

This year his dad was here when he got up.  Next year?

I remind myself he'll be out of the house in two and a half years anywise....and look for the things that can be constants.  

Like our family love of Michigan football....

 
Before the disastrous BWW Bowl in 2013.


And love of warbirds....
 
Manchild as a child, in the nose of a B17 in flight.

And sci-fi....
 
My kids refuse to cosplay!!! But they still love sci-fi!

Today is our soft opening of Ride Prescott, having committed to a huge insurance bill as of yesterday.  My beloved business partner will be manning the wheel this weekend, and I'll join him tomorrow.

 
We are sooooooo not ready for a hard open.

This new beginning reminds me that there is always a time and place to start something new.  It might be shaky at first, but you'll get your bearings.  Years from today I hope to be celebrating a successful company anniversary....right now I'm just nervous, excited and scared all in one.

 
Kinda like falling in love, but not quite as rewarding! 😜😂😘

There are plenty of unknowns in my life right now, but the constants of family, faith and tradition keep propelling me forward.  I can control certain things (although I'm beginning to suspect exercise is NOT ONE OF THEM) and others I simply must have the grace to be patient with.

 
Like waiting in line for three hours so the Princess and her BFF could met musically boy Hunter Rowland.

Happy birthday, Manchild.
 
The joy you bring is immeasurable.  I love being your mom.

Just remember, I get to pin on your wings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment