Thursday, August 25, 2016

His Turn

So very, very proud.

 
My Manchild is the tallest helmet in the group.

At halftime the score was tied 0-0.  Manchild's first football game ever, and he's a lineman.

Just three weeks ago, I was worried for him.  He hated school, he had no real friends and life held no joy for him.  Our little dates no longer made him smile, and two vacations had not relit a spark.

 
It's a glorious evening in Arizona.

How quickly things can change when we least expect it.

Parry, my youngest and from here on out know as The Princess, had a secret all summer:  she was enrolled in two schools.  By the time school started, she had chosen her desired school, and begun lobbying hard.  Somehow she convinced her brother, and we made the switch to her desired school.

Which meant Manchild was now academically eligible to play football.

Last year was hard--the divorce, obviously--and I couldn't be hard on his lack of academic performance.  It had its own consequences...but with all light gone out of him, I was not willing to overlook this fluke opportunity to play.

He walked on the team with hours to spare; it was only lucky timing he joined when he did-a day later he would have been ineligible.

Then three weeks of conditioning:  he comes home exhausted, has lost nine pounds, and begun to smile.

Still 0-0 with 9 minutes left in the game!

School starts, he has friends for the first time.  His sister hears people talking about him-in a good way.

Tonight I watched my gangly son (sorry Lad, you got that from me) tackle and block, hustle and play.  He's glowing, and clearly loves what he's doing.

Is he ready?

No.

He has much to learn, he's not yet in shape, and his instincts are off.

Yet he's having the time of his life.

He'll learn the game.  He'll adapt, even though timing-wise, he wasn't prepared.

Did I push to help make this happen, when the opportunity arose?  Sometimes, you have to embrace the opportunity when it arises.

 
It was my birthday, but we were waiting to get him a physical.  Last second, indeed!

Even though I helped make it happen, ultimately it was his choice to follow through.

 
 They won!  12-0!!!


 

I'm so glad HE did.







No comments:

Post a Comment