Monday, August 22, 2016

Top of the World (or just Prescott)

Last fall, I came 10ft from the top of Thumb Butte, the local landmark at 6443ft.

 
Iconic Prescott, Arizona, with Thumb Butte rising in the distance.

Little did I know how my life would dramatically change within days of that fall climb; Callie's suicide and my divorce would forever alter it.  While life has only improved in the months since, my fitness quest has had many competitors for my time.  That fall climb seemed representative of much I'd experienced-almost achieving, but falling short.

And then getting repeatedly stuck.

Last year, stuck on Thumb Butte.

So when a hike up Thumb Butte was decided to be my fourth date with the Scientist, I admit that climbing to the top hadn't really occurred to me.

I was much more interested in breathing.

 
Thankfully, I was able to point out such fascinating things such as this alligator juniper, and while he snapped pictures, I sucked water and air.

While the air monster did join us on the hike, I did notice I was fitter.  I could talk (a notable improvement  over prior non-fit hikes) and the air monster attacks less severe.  I was surprised that my thighs were pretty sore, having completely forgotten my five-song workout from the day before.

 
 Edie and I out for the evening.  The five song workout of earlier in the day was already a distant memory, about to fade into oblivion.

Funny how a momentous, excuse-inducing, drama-filled workout was forgotten so quickly. It was only because my thighs were screaming that I chanced to remember it!  It made me realize two things:  1) that five-song workout has some serious merit if I'm sore the next day and 2) I can be a bit dramatic.

Move along, move along.

Anywise, my main goal for this hike was to not look like the completely unfit person I am (it was a date, afterall) and to, once again, reenergize my quest.

 
I forgot my sunglasses.  And sunscreen.

So when we decided to climb to the top, I thought we might get there. 

 
About 6000ft and near an exposed edge.

We actually stopped short at one point, at a lower edge of the top.  Suddenly the the tinkling sounds of children's voices broke the silence, and a dad and his three kids scampered past us, climbing right to the precipice. 

The view from not quite the top, Granite Mtn in the distance.

Like we were going to let a six year old beat us.

We figured out a route down from our outcropping, and maneuvered our way to the tiptop, only having to stop and ask for directions once.

 
The top of Prescott:)

As I threw my arms up for the photo, I immediately thought of being in this same position, only lying in a pool, exactly one week ago.

Life is getting better.

While there is much I cannot control, there is much I can.

Exercise is one of those things.

Hm.

 
I certainly don't look like I'm disliking exercise here, do I?

Today I woke up early, my legs deliciously sore from the climb.

Wanting to exercise.

Yesterday, I stood on top of the world.  Where could I stand if I chose to change what I could?

 
 This hair is going flame red soon:)

Exercise.  Ride Local.  Local M.O.B.

I control those.  It's time to make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment