Monday, August 15, 2016

Floating

I've known for many years that the trifecta of sport in my life was hiking, biking & swimming.

 
The pool is were I work best.

The last two mornings I had this pool to myself for several hours; I swam laps and then taught myself what I once thought impossible.

I learned to float.

All my life, my legs would sink and down I'd go.  In pool class I'd have to tread water to stay afloat, while my classmates blissfully relaxed.  Yesterday, however, I was determined to learn...and determined to think.

Concussions are not fun.  I can't say exactly how disruptive this last one has been (the headaches are a clear indication it's not completely better) but the ability to focus has been compromised.  I can feel the cognitive slip, regardless of how I try, and I have not returned to Pilates (not that it would harm me further but trying to get Ride up and running has consumed my every free second.)  So after a week at the Arizona Rural Policy Forum, I headed to Scottsdale for business and a break.

Swimming.  It's contemplative, just like hiking and biking.  I love it, but rarely indulge.  Being cold is such an anathema I don't seek out the pool as exercise except in the summer heat, when the pool feels like a bath.  As I felt my body lift and drift as I floated for the first time, my mind wandered over the problems needing solving; tinkering with one solution, finessing another, and pushing aside stray thoughts to focus on the business at hand.

 
Desert sunrise.

Much like the sunrise this morning, my thoughts coalesced together and it quickly became clear what needed to be done.  Hopping out of the water I jotted it all down, then jumped right back in.  I love swimming.  While I'm not passionate about it-I truly love it.  The cold has kept me out of the water forever, and suddenly it occurred to me.  

Why don't I just buy a wetsuit?

💡

Yes, the aha moment.  If I had a wet suit, I could stay warm while swimming.

Only took 45 years, folks.

 
Tonight I bought these sparklers at Last Chance, for the bargain price of $5.  Admittedly, they reminded me of something Kate Middleton wore (although hers were Jimmy Choos) and I could not resist them.

They are fun.

Life is fun.

It's time to celebrate:  I'm buying a wetsuit:)

No comments:

Post a Comment