Monday, March 23, 2015

30: Doing something Grand

 Usually when I get up at four am, it's to go to Sky Harbor.  Today, it was to go to the Grand Canyon.

View from our parking spot.

18 years ago, on the one year anniversary of my husband's death (the Knight of Physical Therapy), I hiked the Bright Angel to Indian Gardens and back.  I was 25, mother to a 15 month old toddler and wasn't at all in shape.  I clearly remember struggling on the return hike, but the purpose had been accomplished.  I entered the Canyon a widow, and left ready for the next chapter.

A rare photo of the Knight & I with our daughter.  He was dying of brain cancer.

So the Canyon has special meaning to me.  In the years since, a Grand Canyon hike has offered solace, reflection and conversations with God.  It is there I feel best, and often find the peace I'm searching for.  The concussion, the end of my old career where just tips of the iceberg.  My frustration with my personal fitness was paramount.  I needed to hike the Canyon.

Our goal was Plateau Point, 6.2 miles away.

My hiking partner was Dotty, and we quickly picked up a new friend on the trail, 21 yr old University of Missouri student, Ida.

1.5 mile rest house

The hike down was "uneventful"-except we were entering God's Cathedral.

If only all the trail was this smooth...

Indian Gardens brought us the most delightful surprise:  trees in full bloom.

It was lush.  My Arizona never ceases to amaze.

We reached our destination three hours after we started.




We even napped!

Best rock bed ever.

Then the test:  

The hike up.


I'd had several good hikes as of late; no air monster, hitting cruise control.  I thought I had jello for thighs, and may have even gained weight while starving.  I needed a true test.  Was I fit after seven weeks of hiking three times a week?


No only did the air monster NOT appear, I felt fantastic until the 1.5 mile rest house.



Then my hips went, "say what?"

The last mile went slow; my hips hurt & Dotty's thighs were screaming.

We all made it!  12 miles in 7 1/2 hours:)

As I lie here writing, my legs are in protest; unable to believe what we did today.  Sore does not adequately explain every muscle in my legs (sitting for the drive home didn't help.)

Dotty & I agreed, this day and hike was wonderful.  The inner canyon is addicting-we plan on hiking it at least once a month (except June/July/August due to excessive heat.)

So did I find the answers I was looking for?  Yes...and it's all good in God's hands.





No comments:

Post a Comment