Thursday, April 2, 2015

39: #261 & Mephistopheles

#261

There was true anticipation of a good hike, the nervousness about the elevation change and true fear of the air monster.

It doesn't look steep here at all!!!

The air monster.

Ugh.

Yesterday hurt-for a long time.  Dr. Keith, my PT friend, told me this morning that side stitches are a curious thing.  Likely, it's a cramp of the internal oblique (as opposed to external oblique that I pulled in my second week of exercise.) I find it interesting that every pull, strain and pop has occurred on the right side-which I know is weaker since the concussion on the left side of my head.

Fear.  Not my excuse monster, Maverick. Not my cheating conspirator Ferris.  True fear-Mephistopheles.

It's not discomfort-it's pain when my throat tightens.  It's fear-I can't catch my breath.  I thought the air monster was defeated when I hiked the Grand Canyon last week-apparently not.  

Granite #261 is not a stranger to me.  I did it three years ago with my husband and then 11year old son.  Since then, the mountain burned. I'd looked forward to the hike; much of it was through the burn, and nature renewing itself after a fire is remarkable.

The edge of the burn.

This morning was BNI, and my nutrition coach Jim thoughtfully tapped my undrunk glass of water as I poured my third cup of coffee.  The Professor sat next to me, and we laughed at my unsuccessful attempts to lift at home.  I lingered too long after the meeting, putting off the hike just a bit longer.  Yesterday had thrown me off.

Dotty and the boys met me at the trailhead, and we debated if we added the dogs to the log "book" before entering the National Wilderness.

We decided yes.

The hike was completely different than three years before-the fire had changed the landscape.

Sarge loves me❤️

90% is crispy; you can barely see Thumb Butte if you know where to look.

The flowers, however!!

Color everywhere🌺

The hike was actually an average hike.  I did stop for water a half dozen times, but I never got winded.  While the rocky trail and my borrowed set of poles made it more tricky to navigate, it wasn't a difficult hike.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The top-I watched the fire crest over this point two years ago from my home.

She brought me Pirate's Booty for lunch!

I can see my house!

The hike down was quick-it was cold-and I loved the security and ease the poles brought to my hips and knees .

Dotty is determined to get a century plant for herself.

This hike I feared-when it turns out there was nothing to fear.  I easily handled it, and it was well within my fitness level.


There's a popular saying out there:

Which would mean you have to get beyond fear, to get to the other side.

Well, fear didn't leave my side today.  It was very present all the way up the mountain.  I wanted to do this hike, I wanted the views.  I got what I wanted IN SPITE of fear.


I do love, love, love to fly.




No comments:

Post a Comment