Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Want It to be Easy?

I woke up at 2:47am.

That means I had to make pancakes.

It's getting a little tiresome, waking up and being unable to fall back to sleep.

Maybe I need to push it harder?

Oh, I'm thoroughly stuck on the idea that perhaps the only way for exercise to ever become easy is to hit it hard.  Rather than reluctance, maybe I need enthusiasm?

Enthusiasm has made Pilates a joy, I'll admit.

Today, Pilates was first, and then a big hike on Little Granite.

But first, let me take a selfie.

Flat abs.  Brought to you by Pilates.

I was pretty stoked putting on my exercise clothes today; my tightened abs made everything look smaller and sleeker.  Since change had been small, it was great to see progress.

I had lunch with Dr. Keith, who is a physical therapist, and part of my networking group.  When I complained about my sore trapezius, he diagnosised lack of use AND too much iPhone use.

Shut up, Wesley!

Dr. Keith was right, btw.

Pilates was heavy on the legs, and I found session five to be a challenge.



Though she did let me relax at the end.

I finished up there, and headed straight for my hike with Dotty and the dogs.

Jake, Dotty & Sarge.

Little Granite is a misnomer; it's a 6 mile hike that took us four full hours to complete, with multiple elevation changed right up to 7000ft.

Looking south towards Kirkland.

I realize you may think it's all fun, since I post these pictures (I was trying to show off my biceps, obviously) but the truth is closer to this:

My regular trail resting position.

We were 7/8ths to the top, had been hiking uphill three hours, I had done an hour of Pilates and had three hours of sleep.  Plain and simple, I was tired.

But it felt so good.

Downhill at last!

I pressed through the tiredness, the soreness and focused only on the joy that I knew would accompany the hike's views and completion.

Trail's End.  Another fantastic hike!

It seems pushing hard may just be the fastest way to easy afterall.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment