Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Catching Up

Today is a rest day...

So hours in Phoenix traffic isn't a big deal then, right?

Yesterday, I went to Wellbridge Health Center and had my first Pilates session with Lucille.  While mildly sore from my canyon hike, I found the workout to be very specific to certain muscle groups.  Lucille was rightfully concerned about my posture; I was delighted she brought it up!
A Pilates reformer.

While the equipment looked unusual, I was quick to appreciate the spring resistance and definitely feel the core and arm workouts today.  I look forward to more knowledge about this type of exercise...

Did you read that?

"I look forward to more knowledge about this type of exercise?!?"

Moi is surprised.

Although stuck at 152 lbs for the last ten days, I can feel the difference.  Being able to breathe is a pretty big change, as is a second successful Canyon hike.  I can honestly say I no longer dread some exercise.

 Some.  Not all, just some.

So today was a rest day; I drove to Phoenix this morning at the invitation of Governor Ducey, to attend a "Lunch & Learn" with Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall.

The man is a baseball traditionalist.  Sigh.

Earlier I was in a state over my wrist, which I was determined to hide.

Usually that's white, not bright pink, where I wear my watch.

I had pretty bad sunburn from forgetting my watch during the Canyon hike, and really hated calling attention to it by not wearing a watch.  In addition, I was flummoxed by my wardrobe; the initial seven pairs of pants I tried on that fit only worked with heels.

Tall girls, in heels, is not a good thing for first impressions.

Unless you want to pull a power play.

I did not.

😇

Eventually I found a good business casual outfit, and enjoyed a quiet ride to the valley.  I'm starting to see what path I'd like to follow...it was good to have time for quiet reflection.  After lunch, I was delighted to drive right to ASU from downtown without a map (and a very direct route!)

My oldest, Abbie.

I took her to lunch (no worries Jim, it was time for my two o'clock fueling) and we spent the afternoon window shopping and treasure hunting (a Quiksilver jacket for $9.97?  Yes, please!) She told me all about her boyfriend, school and future plans.  It was wonderful to not only encourage her, but guide her with resources and knowledge:)

As we wandered the mall, it occurred to me the last time we were here together was just before Thanksgiving.  I recalled how badly my lower back hurt, and how quickly I wanted to leave.  Tonight, I delighted in the time with my grown-up daughter, and saw no rush to face traffic.

While I still don't like exercise, I am liking the results.  I feel better, and some say I even look younger.  While still uncertain of so many things, I can be certain of this:  having my health is one of the greatest gifts I can give my family.  With that as a goal, it's a little easier to move on.







No comments:

Post a Comment