Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Very Long Day

Today started at midnight (like it does every day) but for a change, I was awake.

Laurie's getting married!!!

No, I didn't break my hand again.

Everyone was genuinely concerned that might happen, especially the King.
I was fine.

I am genuinely interested in how many calories dancing burns, since I decided to have gravy fries at 2am.

Chris had chicken and gravy fries.  This was before the golden Tutankhamen chick came in with her glitter shower.

I got home just shy of 3:30am.  I think Red Bull had something to do with my stamina.

Amazing stuff, that Red Bull.

So, dogs don't understand "sleeping in."

Up at 7am...and we are off on a hike.  It's my first in a week; we did the ridge line across the road.
Our house is in the far distance.

We went three miles, and I admit I was pretty sore heading up some of the hills.  We hiked through BLM land, and had a (thankfully) uneventful encounter with four bulls and a herd of cows.  What is remarkable about the hike is we both forgot to bring water, and I was fine.

It's Mother's Day, and one of my children decided to go against my wishes and celebrate it.

Parry got me DUKE'S!!

For the uninitiated, Duke's Mayonnaise is only available in the Deep South.  I am addicted to the stuff.  Parry also roped her brother into a dance routine to "Shut Up & Dance"-my current favorite song.

I danced with Lad, too.

Mother's Day.

Ugh.

19 years ago, it was my very first.  I remember waking up and seeing this beautiful, dark haired, three month old baby girl in her cradle by my bed.  She was still sleeping, and my heart broke as I watched her sleep.  Her daddy was dead.  

The depth of grief that broke from my soul lingers every Mother's Day since...I have never been able to reconcile it.  I have but one hang-up left from being widowed at 24:  a dislike of Mother's Day.  To me, more are hurt on this day than are made joyful.  My first Mother's Day was the most disappointing day of my life-for indeed, it is the father of your child who makes it special.  Mine was newly in the grave.

My kids laugh at it, and my mother hates that I don't like it.  I do try, but it's hard.  Every year I am taken back to that moment; it's an interesting side effect of being widowed so young.

So being Mother's Day, the King takes me to brunch at The Local.

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting!

My friend Sheryl is co-owner, and the pimento grilled cheese was just as fantastic as she promised!!!

We headed to the Wine Festival downtown immediately after, and meandered through the art fair.

Page Springs Cellars was a favorite for us both.

I started fading on the way home; I laid down at 4pm for "just a quick nap."

Yep.

I woke up at 8pm.

My hubby & kids had gone to see my mother for Mother's Day, I had a vague memory of them leaving.

Happy Mother's Day, mom.  Sorry I crashed this afternoon!

Parry made me a bacon and provolone sandwich when she got home, and I know I'll likely see midnight again tonight due to my prolonged nap.  

It's been a long day.  

But an extremely good one.






No comments:

Post a Comment