Friday, May 8, 2015

Exercising while Injured: CrossFit

I woke up at 4am, and drifted back to sleep at 6am.  Thankfully, I thought to set an alarm for 7:45am.

Of course, that gave me just 15 minutes to get ready to go...

Yeah, I know maize isn't attractive, but it was cold, and it covered my butt.

Today I was back at CrossFit Prescott, and curious how The Professor could modify a training for a broken hand.

At least he was smiling.

Despite the desire to return, I had still dreaded walking in.  Perhaps this is a throwback to school yard pick-ems when I was always being picked last?  Now injured, seemed even more apparent I "didn't fit in."

Oh, yes, my wingman showed up.  Hadn't seen him in over a month, but there he was.

It took Joey a few minutes to figure out my workout-he was very aware of the limitations and possible further injuries that could occur, and worked within those limited parameters.  In the end, I did five sets of modified shoulder squats with chains (stabilizing both up and down, Joey explained), the agility ladder with hands at stomach, plank and butterfly sit ups.

We did video.  I erased 2/3rds of it.

I was soooo done-I still had two sets to go!

Today took quite a bit of modification, trial & error.  Tonight my legs feel that slight twinge of exercise-I admit it's a good feeling.  (My shoulder, however...argh.  Totally tweaked all day.). I was delighted to be back at the place I wanted up be; even though limited.  I left a sweaty mess, and something in me liked that.  I *know* I actually worked out today; I don't always feel like that.

Let's chat a minute about the "exercise high" that some people feel.  I rarely feel good after exercise-and I wonder if only the 20% actually feel good when it's done.  I do admit I am on a high at the end of every Canyon hike, but after an hour workout?  Not very often.  I believe the brain must be engaged in the activity to have it-and I'm not often in compliance!

Frankly, I'm far more concerned with what type of princess I am.

I want to be at CrossFit, but I love Pilates.  To fuse the two together would be incredible-because I know how much I'll love my sore legs tomorrow.

It was a bad camera day.  I think when I tweak my shoulder, everything else goes to pot.

Tonight we celebrated Becky's 39th birthday; enjoying good food and great friends.

Cheesecake birthday cake!  

On the way home, it snowed.
On May 8th.  Really.

During the night I awoke many times from my dreams, all involving classrooms and teachers.  My legs had become deliciously sore-the result of a perfect workout.  My dreams shifted to a blackboard, filled with quotes.  I started erasing many of them to please the teacher, and began to write my own.

No, I couldn't read it.  It was just a dream.

No hikes this week, did you notice?

So much to figure out...


No comments:

Post a Comment