Thursday, May 7, 2015

Being a Mom

My babies, 13 years ago:


Today:


This morning, it was BNI.


Then a chiropractic adjustment.


Thank you, Dr. Carr!

Then a two-hour drive to Phoenix, which had to include a stop to find replacement TOMS for Parry.


(since Giup ate her other pair.)

I stopped at ASU to drop off bins for Abbie, then headed to SpoFit for my tour.

It's amazing.  I am humbled and privileged to workout there in a few weeks.


Back to Manzy one last time to pick up my newly-a-college-sophomore daughter.

Our drive home took three hours, as we had to stop a few places, and got caught in early rush hour.  She's moving into her own apartment on Saturday; my broken hand prevents me from helping.  Instead we'll shop tomorrow, picking up the necessary odds and ends.  It's a new chapter I've looked forward to for years.

Abbie was a very difficult child, but a fairly easy teenager.  She has, however, wanted to be on her own since she was 15 months old.  It took her 18 more years, but here she is-embarking on adulthood.  I couldn't be more thrilled.

I don't crave the baby days, which I enjoyed thoroughly despite being a young widow.  I certainly wouldn't wish her demanding childhood on myself again; we made it through once only by the grace of God and a horse named Sam.

Century Oak Scimitar with his mistress.

So I'm supposed to pine for the past days of motherhood, wringing my hands that my baby has grown. 

I don't think so.

I like having a grown up daughter.  For one, she's much more fun.  


For another, she's in love with a boy.  And I am loving having a daughter who is in love.  For the first time, I am hearing her share her beliefs on love and marriage...and they match mine.  Why, you'd think she learned them at home from her still-married parents.

Will wonders ever cease?

Tomorrow, I'm letting the younger two play hooky from school to hang out with their sister.

Why ever not?



I think Nastee Dogs will be on the agenda.





No comments:

Post a Comment