Thursday, May 21, 2015

Doing the Impossible

Everyone said, "Climbing? With a broken hand?  It can't be done."

Using my elbow instead of my hand.

It's my last day at SpoFit, and I am loathe to leave.  I've been challenged, humbled and amazed by the people I've met; I'm seeing things from a new perspective.  My classes today were water yoga and climbing; yoga instructor Maureen was just as passionate and lovely as the day before teaching Ai Chi.  I met another man with Guilliane-Barre syndrome, Lewis, on the road to recovery like Andrew.  He was walking 50ft unassisted, and had a job interview in two weeks after twelve months of rehab. Once again, SpoFit had made the difference.

Use your legs, they said.  We've seen you squat; you have the power.

Making a difference.  The walls of Spofit feature Paralympic and Invictus Game Champions; individuals who choose to succeed despite disability.  Regardless of the disability-mental or physical-these individuals chose to strive for that step beyond what was possible, and into the impossible.

Inspired by the positive outlook that permeates SpoFit, I decided to try climbing.  I'd climbed before, and truly did not think it possible with one hand.  Having been proved wrong on at least a half-dozen activities,  I knew something would work for climbing.

Elbows.  Now why didn't I think of that?

I strapped in, and was told to use my elbow or forearm for balance, not lift.  My power to climb should come from my legs, not my arms; I was assured I had the core and leg ability to make it up.

My first few feet went well; then the height began to look more prominent in my mind.

#7?  Really?

I began to run out of left hand holds.

First attempt top height; about 2/3rds up.

Having figured out it was possible with one hand, I decided to go again.  My knees were quivering, but I started up again, this time off to the right, as more hand holds were on that side.

Rocking it.

I quickly moved past my last point, and headed right to the top.

Slapping to top platform!

Tonight, the scrapes and bruises on my right forearm are visible, but not prominent.  They remind me that what I thought was impossible was possible-I just had to explore the possibilities.  This journey that we are on has many potential end points; sometimes to achieve success there are a few bumps and bruises along the way.

Garbage and messes sometime hide buried treasure.

I achieved something I thought impossible.  The strength had already been built up in the prior weeks, it was simply time to engage it.

And just how do I get down?!

SpoFit.  I'm actually glad I broke my hand and am temporarily disabled.  My perspective is changed, and my motto just maybe:  try again.









No comments:

Post a Comment