Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Morning After (Captain's Log, supplemental)

Regret is not a word that describes me.

I love to live-I cannot change the past.  The only "what if" I can change is the one right in front of me today.

Last night we celebrated Becky's birthday-it was awesome to gather in celebration.  I think we all may need to do it more often.

Hiking partner Becks blowing out her birthday candles.  It's a cheesecake!!

Last night I ate cheesecake, corn, potatoes, kale & a Bloody Mary burger at her birthday party.  I regret none of it.  When I chose to do something, I go all out.

This morning, I am all about my legs

Oh, I am a vain girl when my legs are deliciously sore.

For two weeks, I've been limited with the broken hand.  Hikes had to be less intense as I need my trekking poles for tough ones (and my hand makes that impossible), workouts have been nonexistent while I lined up new trainings to fit around my broken hand.  I've tried to remember to do at least 45 squats a day (without weight) but this past week I even missed those.

So while the King of Athletics of the Central Highlands may give me a wry smile when I delight in my 65lb barbell squats (I did 60)- I am beyond thrilled.

I didn't lose everything when I broke my hand.

I didn't forget my form.

My core was much stronger than before (and I used it!)

I held a plank for 45 seconds without crying (six times.)

My reward is sore thighs today; my glorious calves (oh, I'm pure vanity today) don't feel any different.  They're not sore as they already rock.

I can feel my gluts, my hamstrings and my quads; tight from the workout. 

I absolutely love it.

I love that when I struggled near the end of each set, I remembered to engage my powerhouse and push through.

I love that I did more than I thought I could (oh, I know it's baby stuff.  But it's MY baby stuff.)

I love that I now know it wasn't a passing infatuation with lifting.  I love it.  This has GOT to be a regular part of the Quest.

And I want my son to join me.

He ate too many Nastee Dogs yesterday.

I am very proud of the relationship we have; I'm the only mom I know with a son who puts his arm around his mom at the age of 14.  We do monthly little dates to Embry Riddle for Aviation History lectures, but the last one is this week until fall.

What if he becomes my lifting partner instead?

The King likes the idea.  I love the idea.

I don't want to compete-that's too in the box.  My son well knows I'm getting fit and want to stay fit so I can hike with HIS son, which is not even a possible reality for another 20+ years (if ever.) In the meantime, I've only got him in my life daily for the next four years.  So to little date at CrossFit?  I don't think I'd ever regret that.

I like that.

A lot.

Time to get the King to call The Professor.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment