Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Exercising while Injured: Pilates

I've been waking up with a sore and battered hand nearly everyday; apparently I am a restless sleeper.  Today I was awake at 4:17am, I got up at 5:30am as usual.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6REdPhh5Ww

Good morning, America

Last night, I wrapped more of my wrist and less of my fingers.  This morning (despite the early hour) it felt better than it had-still sore but more manageable.

Doesn't look pretty though, does it?  I'm rubbing essential oils on one side and castor oil on the other.  Hmmm...

I worked, had a hike cancel, and worked some more.

Which means I forgot to fuel.
My #1 fuel source.

I tried to eat some tuna at 1pm when I remembered, but I was too upset.

One of the reasons for my angst.

Pilates was at 2pm, my first true workout since breaking my hand.  I was surprised to find I immediately went into protective mode when the workout began, it was difficult to focus on form and flow when I worried about my hand position.  I told Lucille I was happy to be in what I considered the safest environment of all my workouts for this first routine-it was comforting to be readily familiar with what was to come.

I love Lucille, even though she made me blush the color of a Stargazer Lily today.

I did pop my hand against my leg at some point, and I was instantly reminded I have a broken hand.  The next few sets were interesting; my hand spasmed and tightened and I had to concentrate on relaxing it.  Funny how protective we become of an injury; the physiological effects were pronounced.  

It had been a week and a half since my last session; I was surprised that my core remembered how to do some exercises better than I thought.  It reaffirmed my belief that Pilates was truly the exercise I identified with and wanted to learn more about.

Tonight was disappointing.  

Kinda like finding out an entire season of Dallas was a dream.

Nothing worked out as hoped.

Although I did eat rice, a carbohydrate.

So I guess not all was lost?


Dude.


No comments:

Post a Comment