Sunday, May 3, 2015

What we do for our kids

Today,

Oh my word...I'm typing with my right thumb.

Let me check...no pain.  Well, maybe with the shift key.  Hang on...

Ok, two handed approach.

Obviously, my broken hand is feeling better.  My shoulder still sucks, but the pain is manageable.

It had to be-because Parry & I were going here:

Fossil Creek, AZ

Parry's BFF Maria is moving to Washington state this summer, so we went on an Arizona adventure with Maria, her sister Elsa (with her friend Olivia) and their mom, Janie.  

Somehow I endured a two hour car ride there, the last 45 minutes of which were on a rough dirt road through the mountains at 15mph.

I wanted to puke.  The pain of a pinched nerve is white hot; for me it's aggravated in a car.  I couldn't let Parry miss this trip with her BFF, so I gritted my teeth and went.

Awesome log bridge.

Once there and I had my pack on, the pain eased up and was only a minor in inconvenience.  We hiked in 1.5 miles and enjoyed the many waterfalls of Fossil Creek, moving our swimming holes as the day went on.

Janie took a swim, too.

About twelve feet deep here!

Heading to the bridge; my daughter is the tallest one:)

20ft up and 20ft deep.

The final stop at the bridge and the ride home hurt.  Not just owie but really hurt.  Shifting gave two second breaks; misery set in.

I kept my mouth shut about the pain.  It's her day, not mine.

Nearly home & rocking it out.

Pain will never stop me from making sure my child has the memories she deserves.  While very uncomfortable, I made it through the day.  I did notice the pain no longer radiated as badly down my arm; hopefully a good sign.

So, a three mile hike under duress. Lots of sunshine, and a 13 year old with fantastic memories of an Arizona day with her soon-moving BFF.

Priceless.

I'd do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment