Saturday, May 16, 2015

Exercising while Injured: Fusion of Movement

When I first broke my hand and had to cancel my line up of gyms, people frequently told me, "Why don't you just do Zumba?"

Zumba is dance/exercise.  While I protest I'm uncoordinated, people who love it insist I'll get better over time-and what better time than now?  It's no pressure on the hand at all.

The last fitness center I'm revisiting is Fusion of Movement, and their Zumba/Core/Weights fusion class.  I took it the first week of March, and owners Ben & Sasha agreed it would be easy to modify.

The beautiful Sasha.

I was rather worried about breathlessness today, and fretted about it last night.  Turns out my fears were misplaced; my hand should have been the bigger concern.

Think of a whip.

Oh, Indy!

Where is the energy when you snap it?

The tip.

Where is the energy when you throw up your hands?

Trust me-it's in the middle metacarpal.

More than a little sore tonight.

Three weeks!  Can you believe it?

So Zumba with a still very sore broken hand is not a good match.  Add to it accidentally smacking your hand on your thigh...yeah.  Well, it was worth a go.

Weights-I simply did the movements without them to (had I used only one that would have meant I wasn't square and risked injury.). It did give my shoulder and arm a nice workout since its been pretty inactive for three weeks.  Core-loved it.  I now have one, and it rocked.  I even let rip a yow like Sasha does.

Overall, it was a success.  I sweated, I moved and my hand survived.  I only drank 1/3rd of my water, and the air monster was a no show.

The Admiral was correct.

My very first goal was to defeat the air monster.  

Done.

The class was not easy, but my breathing was.  I even did low planks with hip taps!

13 1/2 weeks.  Three months.

Doesn't matter how long it took-I made it.  The air monster?

He's gone.





No comments:

Post a Comment